Solved Comparing Two Databases Programmatically (1 Viewer)

ADIGA88

Local time
Today, 09:01
Hi guys,

I am looking for a way to compare two databases tables, queries (fields names and properties) programmatically the scenarios as follows:

I have an access application in production I developed a while ago, and for my last modifications I outsource the development to a freelancer, but the issue now there are differences in tables and queries, I want a way to programmatically discover those changes.

The Pathways I am considering:
1. exporting tables and queries definitions using "Database Documentor" in XML format (by the way I am getting an export Error when trying XML) and comparing outside.
2. a second idea came to me while writing this post to use Tabledef and Query def in DAO (but here I need to merge the two DBs for the comparison, I think).

P.S. for the first option I can't find an object for the Database Documentor in Access Namespace, the only interaction is Application.DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDocumenter

please any advice.

Thanks

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:01
ms.crystal has documentor db.

but imo you should ask your developer to provide you with
the list of "deliverables" he has done.

also ask him to add comments (with date) when he modifies/add the code.

Last edited:

ADIGA88

Local time
ms.crystal has documentor db.
Sorry, I didn't get you here, is that an app?
but imo you should ask your developer to provide you with
the list of "deliverables" he has done.

also ask him to add comments (with date) when he modifies/add the code.
thanks for the advice.

ADIGA88

Local time
I checked the FMS site the app is promising, but the last supported version is 2016. I sent them an email asking if the latest version will work on Access 365

canyonraven

Local time
Today, 01:01
I use the FMS Total Access Detective add-in regularly. The 2016 version works with O365. It does a comprehensive job of comparing two databases and its an "off-the-shelf" product, ready to go. Coding something like this for yourself would be a pretty big project (not that I would ever discourage someone from coding!!)

ADIGA88

Local time
I use the FMS Total Access Detective add-in regularly. The 2016 version works with O365. It does a comprehensive job of comparing two databases and its an "off-the-shelf" product, ready to go. Coding something like this for yourself would be a pretty big project (not that I would ever discourage someone from coding!!)
I bought the App and it's working like a charm thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom