Complex Report help needed (1 Viewer)

Aryzona

Local time
Today, 07:28
I have a table of employees. Each employee has records for work done in 3 different projects. I want to create a report that sorts on Employee name, then lists all the entries for project 1 , then all the entries for project 2, then all the entries for project 3. Each project is a separate table. They are all related by employee ID / name table.

How do i group the project results under each employee name - Currently all i can accomplish is a line for each project grouped under employee name.

What i get :

Name
project 1 - date - completed
project 2 - date - completed
project 3 - date -completed

what i want::
Name
project 3- date - completed

SubReports haven't been helpful as they have each employee listed in the entire report so i still don't achieve a grouping of all projects for a single name that repeats for the next name.

Now for most of you this will NOT be a complex report - but for me this is HUGE. I suspect it has to do with proper Union but i haven't a clue how to do this correctly ...

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 10:28
Did you group by employee name and then project? Looks to me like you only grouped on employee name.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. I can't see why subreports won't work as long as you link them using the emplyee id or name.

Also, why do you have separate tables for each project?

Aryzona

Local time
Each project is unique. These are work trackers. So each type of work is tracked, they all have similarities but none of them are the same field wise. They are individual tables.

Subreports - I will keep working with them as they are the most plausible for my skill set....

I tried grouping on name and each project ... but that did not work.

What i would love to be able to do (and haven't figured out how )

Header = Name
Detail = Project 1
Footer = Project 1
Detail = Project 2
Footer = Project 2
Detail = Project 3
Footer= Project 3
Page Break
Next Name .....

Can you have multiple detail sections and how does one create them if you can?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 09:28
Each project is a separate table.

First, that sounds incorrect. Does each project table have the exact same structure? If so, the data needs to go into one table.

Second, your sample data is too generic. Looking at your 2 data samples the only difference is that the second is sorted by Project. So the answer is, sort by project.

Perhaps you can provide less genericized data to demonstrate your issue.

Aryzona

Local time
Ok .. no each project has a unique set of fields. some fields are similar .. such as location and date but other than that there are different fields...

I have gotten the sub reports to work ... I had to create a form, to do the date range for all records - otherwise i found myself typing start/stop dates for each record of all 87 employees ... (wrist hurts) - I believe i bailed on that early on, and never got to the conclusion to see if it worked. Now i am seeing exactly what i need to see and only had to enter the date range 1 time :D

Now it is just formatting / eye candy.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ok .. no each project has a unique set of fields. some fields are similar .. such as location and date but other than that there are different fields...

I have gotten the sub reports to work ... I had to create a form, to do the date range for all records - otherwise i found myself typing start/stop dates for each record of all 87 employees ... (wrist hurts) - I believe i bailed on that early on, and never got to the conclusion to see if it worked. Now i am seeing exactly what i need to see and only had to enter the date range 1 time :D

Now it is just formatting / eye candy.
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom