Conditional Formatting on multiple fields (1 Viewer)

statsman

Local time
Today, 17:47
I am doing an NFL pool. This pool calls for each participant to select only one winner each week.
If the team selected loses, the participant is eliminated.
As there are as many as 16 games each week, I would like to highlight the players and teams that lost.
Example: Player 1 chose Baltimore as his weekly selection. Baltimore is playing in Game #5 that week against the Bengals. The Bengals win.
It seems that going through multiple games each week is not something the standard conditional formatting function was designed for.
Is there a method of doing this?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
First of all that is not going to work, because no way can the Bengals beat the Ravens.
Besides that, you did not really explain what you want colored, but most likely it can be done. Explain what is on the form and what gets colored.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 16:47
Unless you need to create records and do things with form controls, Excel may work fine for this.

Also, a simple Google Form with a team selection would also work. Email or text people the link and they can tap via mobile. Set it to not allow multiple entries per respondant.

Just an idea.

statsman

Local time
Just an example MasjP. No need to get upset. :)
In this case, those participants who chose Baltimore would be highlighted as it would determined who is eliminated.
It could work just as well as those who chose the Bengals being highlighted.
Remember, there are up to 16 games per week and any number of teams might be selected.
I have it set up right now that only the game winners are entered.
What I need is a situation such as If Week 1 selection = "Bengals" and the Bengals are one of 16 winners, highlight.

MajP

Local time
In this case, those participants who chose Baltimore would be highlighted as it would determined who is eliminated.
It could work just as well as those who chose the Bengals being highlighted.
Remember, there are up to 16 games per week and any number of teams might be selected.
I have it set up right now that only the game winners are entered.
What I need is a situation such as If Week 1 selection = "Bengals" and the Bengals are one of 16 winners, highlight.
I hope someone else can interpret it, because I have not a clue of what you are saying. I think there are some games, and some winners, and something gets highlighted, and there are 16, and someone picks a winner, and something gets highlighted, and someone wins, and someone gets eliminated, and winners get entered, and something gets highlighted. That was about all I took away. However, if you can explain this better, I am confident that you can do this in conditional formatting.

statsman

Local time
We'll see if I can make my point.
The pool under discussion is what's known as a "cutthroat" pool. It may have other names in other places.
Each week 32 teams in the NFL play football in 16 games.
The pool participants are required to select one team they feel will win their game.
(just as an aside, each participant may only select a team once over the course of the season).
If the team selected wins, the participant goes onto the next week. If the team selected loses, the participant is eliminated.
Ideally what I would like to do is highlight those selections where the team lost in a weekly report.
The problem is, the standard conditional formatting function in the report view does not allow for multiple selections. You can't have it check all 16 games to see if the team the participant selected is a winner or a loser. It can only highlight the winner or loser of one and only one game.
So.....the participants who selected a winning team in any one of the 16 games could be highlighted. On the other hand, those who selected the losing team could be highlighted. Either method would be acceptable, not both.
There may be some coding possible to allow this, but reports are not my best point in Access.

Last edited:

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 21:47
Could you not use the fact that a team has been marked as lossing maybe a boolean win/loss then use that for your conditional formatting don't know if its going to help but hope it does.

mick

MajP

Local time
This is not a question of what conditional formatting can do, but how you store your data. You have yet to describe it, so I will take a guess.

I assume you have a schedule
tblSchedule
Week ' number of the week
Team1 'Home team
Team2. 'away team
Winnter ' who won.

Then I have a table of predictions
tblPredictions
Person 'ID of the person
Week ' number of the week
Team ' the team that is goint to win

So if I have this data
tblSchedule

WeekTeam1Team2Winner
1​
Green Bay PackersChicago BearsGreen Bay Packers
1​
Atlanta FalconsMinnesota VikingsMinnesota Vikings
1​
Baltimore RavensMiami DolphinsBaltimore Ravens
1​
Buffalo BillsNew York JetsBuffalo Bills
1​
Kansas City ChiefsJacksonville JaguarsKansas City Chiefs
1​
Los Angeles RamsCarolina PanthersLos Angeles Rams
1​
Tennessee TitansCleveland BrownsTennessee Titans
1​
Washington RedskinsPhiladelphia EaglesWashington Redskins
1​
Cincinnati BengalsSeattle SeahawksSeattle Seahawks
1​
Indianapolis ColtsLos Angeles ChargersLos Angeles Chargers
1​
Detroit LionsArizona CardinalsArizona Cardinals
1​
New York GiantsDallas CowboysDallas Cowboys
1​
San Francisco 49ersTampa Bay BuccaneersSan Francisco 49ers
1​
Pittsburgh SteelersNew England PatriotsPittsburgh Steelers
1​
Houston TexansNew Orleans SaintsNew Orleans Saints
and thes picks
tblPicks

PersonTeamWeek
MajPBaltimore Ravens
1​
StatsManCincinnati Bengals
1​
Then I query them together like so
NFL.jpg

I will get this showing me who picked a winner and who did not for week 1
qryWinner

PersonTeamWeekIsWinner
MajPBaltimore Ravens
1​
Baltimore Ravens
StatsManCincinnati Bengals
1​

Then just do conditional formatting
Expressionis: isnull([Iswinner]) = true ' if you want to highlight losers make it false if you want to highlight winners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom