Confused about Rugby (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Happy Retired Curmudgeon
Local time
Today, 11:42
I was watching some televised rugby matches on TV. Got confused about something. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I watched several times where someone grabbed the ball and, through speed and evasive maneuvers, was able to carry the ball across a particular line. On the screen, there was the immediate acknowledgement of a "try" - but the guy got 5 points for it. What bothers me is that he didn't merely TRY to score... he succeeded. Why don't they call it a "success" ?? Because after all, I'm SURE he did what he wanted to do.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:42
The team can now "try" a "conversion" by kicking the ball over the bar between the posts.

The_Doc_Man

Happy Retired Curmudgeon
Local time
English (Queen's OR Trump's) is so strange.

You call it a try when the player succeeds. But Yoda said "There is no 'Try' - there is only do ... or not do."

But then, in the USA, we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway. (Thanks and full acknowledgement to George Carlin.)

The_Doc_Man

Happy Retired Curmudgeon
Local time
Thanks for the article, Minty!

I'm a little (no, make that totally) blown away by these quotes which I read:

the rules allowed a game to be drawn if no one had scored a goal after three days’ play!

All undecided games were drawn after five days’ play.

If I played a game for three HOURS with no results, I would give up and consider another sport. Even Soccer gives up after a mere 90 minutes.

That article did clear up one thing for me. I know that USA Football was at least derived from Rugby with a few new wrinkles added. One phrase that had always made me curious about our scoring was why the "point after touchdown" (or P.A.T.) was sometimes called a "conversion." Of course, when reading that article I realized it was just another Rugby term that stayed with us until linguistic drift caused us to use other phrases. But we still talk about the "two-point conversion" for running in the ball for the "extra point" after a touchdown. And I saw that if the player actually crosses the goal line, he DOES in fact "touch down" the ball - unless he is tackled first and merely falls over the goal line.

A little glimpse of cultural diversion never hurts.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:42
Don't even look at cricket Doc. :D

The_Doc_Man

Happy Retired Curmudgeon
Local time
Thanks, I have enough sticky wickets of my own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom