Congratulations US Sen. John McCain (1 Viewer)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:47
I saw that but skipped over it. It seems a typical liberal view; Regulate everything. ?
I wasn't asking for regulation. I was asking for people to express their dislike of overtly racist posts. Not quite the same thing IMHO

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 05:47
I wasn't asking for regulation. I was asking for people to express their dislike of overtly racist posts. Not quite the same thing IMHO

I can go along with that as long as you don't base some kind of ban on the results...

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:47

Does that mean people who are deeply religious and especially those whose religion is a specific religion...Christianity etc......should direp people who are not only Atheists but who also post that religious people are low level ignoramuses etc.

KenHigg

Local time
Does that mean people who are deeply religious and especially those whose religion is a specific religion...Christianity etc......should direp people who are not only Atheists but who also post that religious people are low level ignoramuses etc.

IMHO the rep/de-rep thing would be just as it is now, pretty worthless.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I can go along with that as long as you don't base some kind of ban on the results...
As I said I was against regulation I would also oppose a ban, To quote Voltaire "I disagree with what you say but I defend your right to say it".

If they feel it is called for then Yes.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Which would then mean the rep/direp system was totally useless since the giving of a red or a green point would be purely in the eye of the beholder.

In my opinion if anyone is offended by what they read on an internet forum then perhaps they should should avoid forums.

KenHigg

Local time
In my opinion if anyone is offended by what they read on an internet forum then perhaps they should should avoid forums.

Or if they have any grit in their gut offer an equally compelling counter attack :p

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Or if they have any grit in their gut offer an equally compelling counter attack :p
At least we can agree on something. If you can't take it, don't dish it out :)

KenHigg

Local time
At least we can agree on something. If you can't take it, don't dish it out :)

We were bound to happen upon some common ground if we posted enough times - :p

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
I think congratulations to Sen John McCain is in order as the first politician in US history to show humility in a concession speech. He may not have won the presidency, but there are a lot of people in the world who could learn a valuable lesson in how to graciously step down with class and honour.

What I don't understand is that until this speech, all I heard from McCain was what his fixers had told him to say (and he wasn't very convincing at that).

Then, out of the blue, the real McCain pops up and produces this gem. Why he didn't perform like this through the whole campaign is a mystery to me, although I guess politics these days (in any country) what a politician REALLY thinks gets buried by party spin doctors and media managers.

KenHigg

Local time
What I don't understand is that until this speech, all I heard from McCain was what his fixers had told him to say (and he wasn't very convincing at that).

Then, out of the blue, the real McCain pops up and produces this gem. Why he didn't perform like this through the whole campaign is a mystery to me, although I guess politics these days (in any country) what a politician REALLY thinks gets buried by party spin doctors and media managers.

Just keep in mind that Obama is cut from the same cloth ;)

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:47

I agree. The "real" McCain appeared for the first time in a long time. If the "real" McCain had been running this entire campaign, straight talk express and all, I doubt that Obama would have been able to win the election. I am puzzled - seems McCain didn't really want to win? Or maybe he lost faith in himself and started listening to his handlers? Who knows.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Just keep in mind that Obama is cut from the same cloth ;)

True enough, I guess for me, he is more convincing at it. Hope the genuine Obama is like the projected image.

I find Hilary Clinton the biggest 'fake' of the lot, you can see the mind ticking over of all the moves & positions she is supposed to take to become popular

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
I agree. The "real" McCain appeared for the first time in a long time. If the "real" McCain had been running this entire campaign, straight talk express and all, I doubt that Obama would have been able to win the election. I am puzzled - seems McCain didn't really want to win? Or maybe he lost faith in himself and started listening to his handlers? Who knows.

With the mess that the US is in, would you want to win and have to spend the next 4 years trying to clean it up??

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:47
With the mess that the US is in, would you want to win and have to spend the next 4 years trying to clean it up??

Nope.

It is going to take a lot longer than 4 years to clean up a mess 8 years in the making. Kind of like my kitchen. I can turn it into a disaster in 20 minutes flat. Then it takes a few hours to clean it all up.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Today, 04:47
That's so true. When the Democratic Congress was handed gas at $2 and some change a gallon, they only took 4 years to get up to $4 a gallon. I guess they manufactured our economic prices because they couldn't figure out a better way to bring it down.

-dK

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You need to remember that "the other side" regards your views as equally ignorant.

I find it quite interesting at the moment to see the views on AWF Political and Watercooler as opposed to the political forums on guns/hunting sites.

You misunderstand. I don't consider everyone who voted for McCain ignorant, only the people who are so close-minded in their views they cannot have an intelligent debate without insulting our president elect or anyone who don't agree with them. I have many friends who voted for McCain and we still get a long fine. We joke about it. We're open minded about it. There's a huge difference.

KenHigg

Local time
You misunderstand. I don't consider everyone who voted for McCain ignorant, only the people who are so close-minded in their views they cannot have an intelligent debate without insulting our president elect or anyone who don't agree with them. I have many friends who voted for McCain and we still get a long fine. We joke about it. We're open minded about it. There's a huge difference.

Do all of your friends have bad hair?:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom