Solved Convert to SQL-format date (1 Viewer)

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 22:16
Hi I have a DB where FE is MS Access and BE is SQL Server.
I am in the process of checking all queries are functional due to the change from Jet to SQL. I have one update query which is constantly coming up with data conversion error. The field is in the format of : 2021-08-10 00:00:00
The calculation in the 'Update to' statement evaluates to a date in the format of : 25/10/2021
How do I amend this so it will be in format of field?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:16
Can you post the SET part of your query involving the date field?

Kayleigh

Local time
SQL:
UPDATE tblOrders INNER JOIN lkptblOrderStatus ON tblOrders.fldOStatusID = lkptblOrderStatus.fldOrderStatusID SET tblOrders.fldOAnticipatedPayDate = IIf(Weekday(Date())=7 Or Weekday(Date())=1,(Date()+8-Weekday(Date(),2)),Date()-(DatePart("w",Date(),2,1)-1))
WHERE (((lkptblOrderStatus.fldOSSort)<100) AND ((IIf(Weekday([fldOAnticipatedPayDate])=6,[fldOAnticipatedPayDate],([fldOAnticipatedPayDate]+8-Weekday([fldOAnticipatedPayDate],6))))<Date()));

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
SQL:
UPDATE tblOrders INNER JOIN lkptblOrderStatus ON tblOrders.fldOStatusID = lkptblOrderStatus.fldOrderStatusID SET tblOrders.fldOAnticipatedPayDate = IIf(Weekday(Date())=7 Or Weekday(Date())=1,(Date()+8-Weekday(Date(),2)),Date()-(DatePart("w",Date(),2,1)-1))
WHERE (((lkptblOrderStatus.fldOSSort)<100) AND ((IIf(Weekday([fldOAnticipatedPayDate])=6,[fldOAnticipatedPayDate],([fldOAnticipatedPayDate]+8-Weekday([fldOAnticipatedPayDate],6))))<Date()));
Thanks. Assuming the field in question was the with PayDate in it, what data type did Access assign to it if you got to design view of the table in Access?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
That looks like it is a DateTime2 from SQL server in an older version of Access to me.

What ODBC driver are you using, that will probably need updating.

Kayleigh

Local time
Is this ODBC driver you mean?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-28 190131.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-28 190131.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 309

Kayleigh

Local time
Thanks. Assuming the field in question was the with PayDate in it, what data type did Access assign to it if you got to design view of the table in Access?
Also I've checked the design view but it didn't offer any insight - just date/time like other fields.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Also I've checked the design view but it didn't offer any insight - just date/time like other fields.
That's fine. I would suggest adding a test/dummy record and try to update just that one. For example:

SQL:
UPDATE TableName SET DateField=Date() WHERE ID=xxx
This avoids the long IIf() expression you're trying to use, just to eliminate that part for now.

Kayleigh

Local time
I've tested the IIf as a field on its own and it will evaluate correctly - only displaying at the SQL date format.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I've tested the IIf as a field on its own and it will evaluate correctly - only displaying at the SQL date format.
But in my mind, the problem wasn't if the IIf() works or not. The error was "conversion failure," so I was thinking it's the part when you're assigning a value to the date field. That's why I suggested to assign a simple Date() to the field as a test.

Kayleigh

Local time
I understand. The DB I'm working on is for test purposes so it is okay to overwrite the data.

Not so familiar with the way SQL server works. I've added new dummy column to table but its not updating in my FE - even after I've closed and re-opened both. What do you advise?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I understand. The DB I'm working on is for test purposes so it is okay to overwrite the data.

Not so familiar with the way SQL server works. I've added new dummy column to table but its not updating in my FE - even after I've closed and re-opened both. What do you advise?
Try refreshing the link. Failing that, you can delete the linked table and relink it again. However, I didn't recommend adding a new column. I simply wanted you to add a "new record" to easily identify a single record to update and test.

Kayleigh

Local time
Okay I've done as you specified - same field only one record to change and this is error that restricts query execution.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-28 202259.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-28 202259.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 329

Kayleigh

Local time
I've given this a try instead of date():
Format(Date(),"mm/dd/yyyy hh:nn AM/PM")

and it has worked successfully! So I will try with the calculated field now...

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I've given this a try instead of date():
Format(Date(),"mm/dd/yyyy hh:nn AM/PM")

and it has worked successfully! So I will try with the calculated field now...
Keep us updated...

Kayleigh

Local time
Seems to be working with to update with Iif statement when I format as above.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Seems to be working with to update with Iif statement when I format as above.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)
Hi. Glad to hear you're making good progress. Good luck!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Is this ODBC driver you mean?
Yes - You would need to use the V17 one not the native client. It doesn't support the datetime2 data type that is the default in later SQL server versions.

In the SQL server what data type is that date field set to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom