Solved Copy and Paste from access to another program losing decimals places?? (1 Viewer)

BJF

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:56
Hello All,
I am losing decimal places when I copy from Access, whether from a table row or a form in datasheet view and paste into an email, or anywhere including here for that matter!
This is a copy and paste from 3 rows of my table, but what I see in my table is: $0.0610, $0.0800, and $0.1040

UnitPrice
$0.06​
$0.08​
$0.10​
Is there a way to get an exact copy? Can't figure it out -

Thanks,
BJF

Ranman256

Local time
the values may still have all the numbers there,
did it just display to the 1/100ths?
(when you put the cursor on the value)

BJF

Registered User.
Local time
i need 3 decimal places displayed for customer purposes
so if my unit price in access show .073 , i have to type the 3 when i email my customer because copy/paste only gives me .07
theres nothing when i hover over it.
it seems copy/paste only gives 2 decimal places and i want to know if theres a workaround
Thanks

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:56
what happens if you format an excel cell as TEXT, first, and then paste into it?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 01:56
I've just added a field to a table, made it double, with decimals as Auto.
I entered 23.358 and then copied that and pasted it here 23.358 twice? :unsure:

Single works as well?

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Gasman's post gave me an idea. Make sure the item you are copying actually DOES have a digit (which is NOT zero) as that third decimal place. Then try it. Maybe the clipboard is too 'smart' to include the third digit when it is meaningless/zero

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Gasman's post gave me an idea. Make sure the item you are copying actually DOES have a digit (which is NOT zero) as that third decimal place. Then try it. Maybe the clipboard is too 'smart' to include the third digit when it is meaningless/zero
Access does not show the trailing 0 if you have one, even in the table?

The O/P said one his values was 0.073, and that shows and displays fine? Copied and pasted from DB.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The O/P said one his values was 0.073, and that shows and displays fine? Copied and pasted from DB
In that case, I made a mistake. Sorry.

Access does not show the trailing 0 if you have one, even in the table
This is a copy and paste from 3 rows of my table, but what I see in my table is: $0.0610, $0.0800, and $0.1040

BJF

Registered User.
Local time
I tried, but its not that, its actually rounding when i paste and i have to actually go into excel formatting and tell it to be 3 decimal places which then displays correctly so the info is stored but its rounding up. for example .057 is pasted as .06

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That's what I thought when I asked you to test in post #4. It's the destination program that's controlling this behavior and I don't think it's an Access or clipboard problem.

Also if you format as text in Excel, it will probably paste correctly (at least, for me it definitely does)

BJF

Registered User.
Local time
That's what I thought when I asked you to test in post #4. It's the destination program that's controlling this behavior and I don't think it's an Access or clipboard problem.

Also if you format as text in Excel, it will probably paste correctly (at least, for me it definitely does)
Finally got it to work - thank you everyone for your suggestions and getting me to poke around more.
I made a form displayed in datasheet view and set the unit price field format on the form to GENERAL NUMBER with 3 decimal places and it pastes correctly in my Outlook emails. Didnt even work with format set as FIXED with 3 decimal points...it displayed that way in the form but the paste was rounding up. GENERAL NUMBER format was the key for my purposes. Thanks again EVERYONE!!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
In that case, I made a mistake. Sorry.
No, you were correct. My 0.073 copied and pasted fine. The O/P said his did not? As you said, Access ignores a useless 0 at the furthest decimal place.

BJF

Registered User.
Local time
No, you were correct. My 0.073 copied and pasted fine. The O/P said his did not? As you said, Access ignores a useless 0 at the furthest decimal place.
Thanks Issac, it was tricky and I was not positive if it was a windows clipboard problem or destination program problem or Access issue but i have experienced before where my pc did not behave the same as someonelses that was testing on the forum here so i couldnt be sure but all you guys pointed me in the right direction with checking out formatting options. I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom