Coronavirus - Good News (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:14
This is a bulletin board just for posting "Good News" about the development of the corona-virus situation....

Any political posts, trolling posts, anything off Topic may/will be deleted and may result in a ban. You know who you are!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
B & Q are re-open a small number of stores as a trial. The trial stores are: Paisley and West Thurrock

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The best website I have found for for getting DIY stuff is ScrewFix.

The Click and Collect facility is fantastic, items are ready within minutes... In fact when they coronavirus has finished, I will never again stand at the counter asking for some obscure plumbing part, I will look it up online and "Click and Collect"

It might be a good idea to keep this information secret from your wife, otherwise there will be a whole list of jobs that need doing on the breakfast table tomorrow morning! On the other hand, if you say darling, I'm going to fix the so & so, I'm going to do this and that, think of the Brownie points you will get!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi UG - Do you know Screwfix is owned by / is part of the B & Q group?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Do you know Screwfix is owned by / is part of the B & Q group?

Yes. It's aimed more at the professional plumber, but the public are welcome also...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
A very nice competitor to MS Access, the Alpha database are offering free licensing to Corona virus developers:-

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I went to Sainsburys this afternoon. Everyone was very good in respecting at least 2m space, very polite in waiting for someone to finish at the shelves. It was very encouraging to see people respecting the guidance.
Col

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I went to Sainsburys this afternoon.

Funnily enough I was in Tesco's this afternoon, it starting raining and I thought, Ha! now is the time to go to Tesco's, nobody's going to queue up outside in the rain! However there were a few brave Souls! Next, the management team at Tesco's have killed two birds with one stone. By clever arrangement of a one-way System, down isles and along corridors, you end up doing a slalom around the store, thereby doing your shopping and completing your daily exercise! When I arrived at the pending expiry date discount section I started rummaging through the items, and was pleasantly surprised to realise that no one was pushing their arm in front of me, or bumping me out of the way when I turned around to put something in the trolley. It was a really nice experience for a change. I looked around to see prospective bargain hunters menacingly waiting 2m away from me, glaring at me to hurry up. But no, this is really good, getting a good dig into the discounted items. No I thought, I'm going to take my time!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:14
I'll let you slide on the Dow Jones observation, Adam, because it IS true and IS at least a side-effect of the corona virus. I saw that crude oil prices on the market fell below zero, which is interesting and more than a little bizarre. So I researched it a little bit. The price of crude oil includes delivery to a refinery. When the suppliers are ready to waive certain transport and delivery fees just so they can get rid of the backlog, the oil "futures" market goes negative. In essence, they are at the point where they really WILL pay you to take the product off their hands because otherwise they have no places left to store it and THAT means shutting down production wells. That shutdown is a very expensive proposition.

It's getting so bad that Saudi princes can only buy one new Jaguar or Porsche per month. :giggle:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:14
This potentially makes for cautionary good news. Early antibody testing suggests COVID-19 infections in L.A. County greatly exceed documented cases.

"Based on the results of the first round of testing, the research team estimates that approximately 4.1% of the county’s adult population has an antibody to the virus. Adjusting this estimate for the statistical margin of error implies about 2.8% to 5.6% of the county’s adult population has an antibody to the virus — which translates to approximately 221,000 to 442,000 adults in the county who have been infected. That estimate is 28 to 55 times higher than the 7,994 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported to the county at the time of the study in early April. The number of COVID-related deaths in the county has now surpassed 600.

“We haven’t known the true extent of COVID-19 infections in our community because we have only tested people with symptoms, and the availability of tests has been limited,” said lead investigator Neeraj Sood, professor of public policy at the USC Price School for Public Policy and senior fellow at the USC Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics. “The estimates also suggest that we might have to recalibrate disease prediction models and rethink public health strategies.
(emphais added)

So the potential exists that a lot more people have been exposed, developed antibodies, and did not get sick.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Back to a glimmer of good news, the latest graphs show a flattening of hospital occupancy not rising so steeply.
Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom