Could Not Save, Currently Locked By Another User (1 Viewer)

MattBaldry

Self Taught, Learn from the Forums
Local time
Today, 10:45
I have a database at work that I have built over the last 18 years. Data sits on the server BE. Each client has their own local FE. Never had any issues, but over the last week I keep getting "Could Not Save, Currently Locked By Another User" all the time. I have not changed anything in the design, and we still have the same number of users. Nothing in the way it is being used has changed, but now I get this message on a daily basis.

The form I am using has a subform in datasheet format. If I close the form and reopen it, it allows me to add a new record, then bam, same message on the next entry. As soon as I have added a line, if I go to edit that line, same message. Close the form, reopen, one edit then that message.

Has anyone experienced anything similar of late?

~Matt

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:45
on Access Options,
Client Settings->Advance
Default Open Mode = Shared
Default Record Locking = No Locks (access will handle the lock).

MattBaldry

Local time
on Access Options,
Client Settings->Advance
I thought this was how it was setup. I have changed it and will check. Thank you.

~Matt

MattBaldry

Local time
on Access Options,
Client Settings->Advance
Changed the settings but still getting the same error. First entry fine, any other, locked.

~Matt

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:45
Did you change it both in Each Fe and on Be?
did you exit the db after applying the change
and open it again?

MattBaldry

Local time
Did you change it both in Each Fe and on Be?
did you exit the db after applying the change
and open it again?
I did indeed. The database has been setup the same way for all the years I have been using it but the issue is only in the last week or so.

Not had any issues like this before.

~Matt

MattBaldry

Local time
Just to throw some more gunk at the fan. I was the only person logged in and using the BE. I then got the locked message. I waited a few minutes while checking there was no one else using it. Confirmed, no other computers connected. I go back to my machine, voilà, it works.

My database stayed open this entire time, on that record. No other users logged on or accessing the database BE.

~Matt

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:45
Just to throw some more gunk at the fan. I was the only person logged in and using the BE. I then got the locked message. I waited a few minutes while checking there was no one else using it. Confirmed, no other computers connected. I go back to my machine, voilà, it works.

My database stayed open this entire time, on that record. No other users logged on or accessing the database BE.

~Matt
Hi Matt. A record could get locked by a user or a process. If no one else is using the db, maybe your next step is to check your processes. Are you using any code to modify the data?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:45
OK, software things don't change behavior without reason. Despite talk of artificial intelligence on the horizon, there is no chance that the O/S got whimsical and decided to play a trick on you. You swear you didn't do anything. But maybe you did, and didn't know it.

Find the Windows control panel element for system updates and look for the update history. See if you had a Windows update or an Office update at about the time this problem started. If you are on Windows 10 and just suffered through update #2004, dollars to donuts says your problem is that you got patched by one of the most notoriously nasty patches to have come out of Redmond since Win10 came out.

Offhand, I don't know what to tell you and I don't think you have an infinite amount of time to back out of a patch under Win10. But it might help to do a web search regarding unusual file locking. I would do the search myself, but I'm just guessing. However, if you confirm that you got patched just before this oddity began, that might at least give us a starting point. And if not, then like I said, I was just guessing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom