Create a New SQL Server Instance (1 Viewer)

MattBaldry

Self Taught, Learn from the Forums
Local time
Today, 08:26
Hi all,

I am looking to move some of my larger tables onto SQL server, but I have been unable to find details on how to create a new server. Our Domain controller has 2 SQL Servers registered at the moment, but I wanted to create my own one instead of a new database inside one of these.

I have scoured the web and cannot find a good guide on how to do this. Does anyone have a link they could reference please?

~Matt

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:26
If you want a new instance, you need to install it. Is your IT department going to allow you to install your own personal instance of SQL Server on their server? I doubt it.

If you want to install SQL Server Express on YOUR PC, you can probably get away with it.

MattBaldry

Local time
If you want a new instance, you need to install it. Is your IT department going to allow you to install your own personal instance of SQL Server on their server? I doubt it.

If you want to install SQL Server Express on YOUR PC, you can probably get away with it.
Thanks Pat,

I have actually managed to get it sorted, but would prefer to create my tables in access the "upsize" them.

I know MS Access no longer has this as an option, but is there another tool that will do this for me?

If I have to create them in SQL, I will, but as the tables are all already in access, an upsize tool would be easier.

~Matt

MattBaldry

Local time
Use SSMA to convert the tables.
Thanks Pat,

I installed that just as your reply came through. Jet lag from my holiday slowed my brain today and I couldn't find it when I looked earlier.

~Matt

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:26
Keep in mind that your joins between the tables in SQL Server and the local ACE tables will still work but will be abysmally slow since to join heterogeneous tables, Access drags the entire server-side table down to memory on your local PC and does the join there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom