Creating a cheese production record from scratch (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:13
Oops. I missed two connections

The relationship seems strange at first glance but relating the tblProduction to tblFormula is done so I can have a way to limit the combo in the tblProductionSteps form to select only steps for the single formula.
BuffaloCheese.JPG

Attachments

• BuffaloCheesePat.accdb
    908 KB · Views: 17

Panayiotis

Local time
Today, 07:13
Wow, thank you all for your help. If anyone is over in Ireland for a visit, please do call in Macroom, County Cork and I'll give you a VIP tour of our cheeseplant!

Mike60smart, you've given me alot to think about and work on!

Plog I'm starting to get it now, i was trying too hard to tweak what I had already done, but the best thing is to start from the basics. I should have devoted more time on learning about tables and their relationships before thinking about user interface and fancy vba stuff.

What can I say about you Pat, I'm indebted to you. I'll study the relationships and database and will be back soon for more;)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome:) As I said, it's a start. You are a very small operation and probably don't need to automate every step at this point. I built what I thought should be automated now and left the inventory part for later. This is an unusual application which I happened to have some specific experience with so I took my suggestions further than I might have if there were other databases which had similar needs I could point you to.

There is code you will need to make this easy for you. For example, each time you start a new batch, you will want to run an append query that copies the data from tblFormulaSteps for the type of cheese you are making now into the tblProductionSteps. It is tblProductionSteps that serves as the "blanks" in the form you use now and tblFormulaSteps which serves as the "words" that describe what goes into the "blanks". Hope that gives you an understanding of how it works.

Don't rush to create forms. Spend some time manually entering data into the table. It's a bit of a pain due to having to use numbers as the FKs but I changed the db layout to overlapping forms which will make it easier for you to have multiple objects open to work with at the same time. Do create queries that join the tables so you can see what the data looks like when it is all pulled together. Don't forget, you will be using append queries in the real app to copy data from FormulaSteps to ProductionSteps so the process will be very simple for the user. They won't have anything to do but to initiate the process and then fill in the blanks as they would have with the paper form.

Make sure you absolutely understand the schema before you commit to forms/code/reports. For now just stick with tables and queries. And don't hesitate to ask questions. There are lots of people here who can help, especially since I've made a basic schema.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Have you made any progress with my suggested schema? Do you have questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom