data migration to production (sql server) (1 Viewer)

Derek

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:31
Hi guys,

I have done data migration from ms access to sql server (in test environment) . The users have tested it ans it works fine. Now we are planning to migrate to production so I want to make sure all works fine in production with no issues . Can anyone please help me with implementation plan, checklists and all ?

Any help will be much appreciated .

Thanks

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:31
Migrating the first time is somewhat simpler than doing an update, starting with the fact that there is no data in the production environment for you to backup. So, the first time, you are creating the schema and moving data. Subsequent times, you are running scripts to update the schema and rarely touching data although there may be a case where a schema change was required to split a table and so some of the columns end up in the original table and others end up in a newly created child table.

I try to do these things on the weekend or evening when I can shut down production. I also have a couple of proficient users on hand to help me with the testing as well as a DBA to support the action since I almost never get trusted to actually do anything to the production schema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom