Database Design (1 Viewer)

mumbles10

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:57
Okay... so I am working on building out a database that stores information for employees and their entitlements to different systems. Each system has different entitlements. I have created an Employee Table, System Table, and have consolidated table that had every entitlement possible. Employees were listed multiple times because 1 employee can have access to multiple systems.

The idea is for the users to be able to change employee entitlements if needed. I can create a lookup table to show all the systems but my question is, what would be the best way to setup the DB so that only the entitlements that are unique to the system show up...or are able to be chosen for each system.

As of now... there are 40 systems and if I consolidate all the entitlements (some overlap) there are 200ish entitlements.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It seems you have 3 base tables

Employee containing info on all employees
System containing info on all systems
Entitlement containing all entitlements

There will be 1 or more junction Tables relating individual employees to individual systems with a specific entitlement.

An Employee has 1 or more Entitlement(s) to a System

What exactly is an Entitlement? example...

mumbles10

Registered User.
Local time
It seems you have 3 base tables

Employee containing info on all employees
System containing info on all systems
Entitlement containing all entitlements

There will be 1 or more junction Tables relating individual employees to individual systems with a specific entitlement.

An Employee has 1 or more Entitlement(s) to a System

What exactly is an Entitlement? example...

An example... employee X has access to system A. System A has these entitlements:

Read Only
Print Only
Transfer Only

However, the employee might only have Read Only.

System B, however, has these entitlements:

Outgoing
Incoming

Each system is unique. They are 3rd party systems which we do business with all of them. We are working on creating a database to actively manage all employees and their access.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A database for entitlements 9whatever the definition is) would be nice I guess, but how do enforce ReadOnly, PrintOnly now.

Ideally, you will work with the current enforcement process(es), so you know that the entitlement can be actioned/enforced and is not just some secondary documentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom