Database Documentation (1 Viewer)

macca the hacke

Macca the Hacca
Local time
Today, 03:57
Hi All :)

I have spent the last 6 months designing/building a database for the company I work for. Everything has gone well and all users are happy :)

I have just been tasked with writing documentation for the database. Although I have been building access databases for about 5 years, believe it or not I have never had to provide documentation before.

Is there any standard I should follow, or is there any reference material that would be good to study? I have to write 2 versions - a technical version and a non technical users guide.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Macca

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:57
- database design for mere mortals (Hernandez) provides very useful forms for documenting (tech)
- access has a built in documenter (tools/analyze/documenter) (tech)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 04:57
You can use the documenter to see how your Dbase is configurated. The documenter is at :
Tools > Analyse> Documenter. Once there you can define what you want to document in terms of forms, relationships, tables, etc.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:57
There are two kinds of documentation. Technical and user. User documentation will contain pretty screen shots and talk about workflow and business rules. Technical will also contain pretty screen shots but talk about what happens behind the scenes and include a data dictionary and table schema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom