Database Onto A Website (1 Viewer)

carlnewboult

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:23
Hiya,

Before I start I must say that I have only been doing this website for about 2 weeks and have discovered everything I know through trial and error.

I currently have a database for a football club which has fixture information and then more detailed things on each fixture for example goals scored and by who and man of the match and all of the other usual stuff that you would expect from football (by the way I mean football or "Soccer :mad: :mad: :mad: " as some people call it)

what I want to know is how would I go about putting this onto a website and making it have the same functionality and giving people the ability to update the information on the site.

Cheers

spacepro

Registered User.
Local time
You best bet is to use MySQL and PHP.

MySQL is a database system and PHP is programming code like HTML is retrieve and update/delete data from the database.

I'm unable to give you some specifics at the moment but if you do a search for MYSQl and PHP , there are a number of tutorials on the internet.

You could dump the data from Access into CSV then import into MySQL.

Hope this helps
Andy

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
The alternative is to use asp.net. This platform can talk directly to your access db (though it is optimized for sql server).

Microsoft are distributing a free copy of their development software for the .net framework. You can download it here. You'll need Windows XP SP2.

carlnewboult

Registered User.
Local time
I have also been told by a colleague that I could do all of this by using XML ?

any advice on this ?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
carlnewboult said:
I have also been told by a colleague that I could do all of this by using XML ?

any advice on this ?

Get him to build the site for you? :p

Seriously though...This depends on how much data you intend to store in your database, whether query performance is important to you and security also. XML is great for transferring smallish amounts of data down the wire but it is a file-based storage mechanism. Do you really want to be storing large amounts of data in xml format? There will be no indexing and no UI for viewing your data (by this I mean a table or query designer).

Asp.net deals with reading and writing xml files within its framework. If you want to stick with microsoft technology then go for asp.net (www.asp.net) with an access db/SQL server. Remember you will need to host your site on a windows server if you choose this route. You can buy sql server developer for very little money but remember you will have to pay extra to rent some sql server space from an appropriate server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom