Database password issues (1 Viewer)

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:45
I have an Access 2016 database split FE/BE as usual. Running in Access for Office 365. When it was created for the client, I put a password on the BE and the FE. All fine. Now I need to change the password. Changed it for the BE no problem. Opened the FE and re-linked all the tables to the BE using the new password, no problem. But when I open the FE in Exclusive mode, it prompts me for the old password (no problem, I haven't changed it yet) but when I go to decrypt the database to remove the existing password, it doesn't give me the option. I can only ENcrypt the database. If I try to do that it allows me to enter and verify a new password, but then it always says "Not a valid password"

I have tried this on both the client's version and my own, and same result, so I can't believe it is corruption.

I've tried with the password to the BE removed completely. Whatever I do, the FE prompts me for the old password and won't let me change it. The FE opens fine if I use the old password.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Jim

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:45
Hi Jim. Just a shot in the dark, but how about trying it on a backup copy of the FE on a different machine?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:45
Maybe you'll have to do it programmatically - BUT on a COPY first

I know the post is for 2007 but the point I'm trying to make is that you are not the first with this problem, and when it comes to code, a lot of it will work for newer versions.

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:45
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The code in the link Micron posted worked a treat. Password gone! Just as I was about to create a new blank database....

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:45
I don't use this password protection. Nothing really protects the application from hackers anyway so I distribute .accdr to the user to prevent accidental changes and I have them log in which provides minimal protection. The BE needs to be SQL Server if you actually need security. Jet/ACE don't cut it.

If you can't get out of this loop, you might be able to rebuild the app. Try creating a new, empty, unsecured database. Using the GetExternalData menus, try to import all the objects from the "secured" database. As long as you have the password, you should be able to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom