Database put in internet (1 Viewer)

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Today, 12:57
What is the database that can be put on the internet base, I want to study how to make it. I am not brilliant, but I love to study. On computer things, I only took the course of Basic Language, but it was 40 years ago when I was just graduated from College in Indonesia. But I like to learn IT things, like macro in Excel and MS Access. Just last year at the time of lockdown, I used the time to learn to make my own website, although not so good, but I made it by learning from Youtube here is the result : https://franksitumorang.com/ I have been here in California for 6 years and the job I can find is a housekeeper in a university

Now I want to learn a database that can be operated on internet. What kind of SW I need to learn, SQL?, Can I learn it thru watching youtube?, in which community can I join for discussion like here.

Thank you for any suggestion/explanation on the above matter.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 15:57
MySQL seems to work.

If you want to learn SQL, get Ms Access, and start making databases.
there's a lot of examples to test with.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. When you say Internet, I am thinking HTTP requests. Basically, are you saying you want the user to use an Internet Browser to use the database?

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Hi. When you say Internet, I am thinking HTTP requests. Basically, are you saying you want the user to use an Internet Browser to use the database?
Yes DbGuy....that's what I mean, because people say that MS Access is not for internet, it was designed for stand alone computer.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes DbGuy....that's what I mean, because people say that MS Access is not for internet, it was designed for stand alone computer.
That's correct! In that case, you could look into PHP, ASP.Net, JavaScript, Angular JS, React, etc. for starters.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
So MS Access database can not be put on my Website as a share point?
Not if you want to use a browser to use the database. You can only put the Access database in SharePoint for users to download it.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
So MS Access database can not be put on my Website as a share point?
I have a case where I've placed an Access database file (front end, with Sharepoint back end), --the accdb or accdr itself--into a Sharepoint doc library, and then given users the direct link. This works, but it still opens in MS Access; as dbGuy said, it won't open in a browser or anything like that.

hfsitumo2001

Local time
I have a case where I've placed an Access database file (front end, with Sharepoint back end), --the accdb or accdr itself--into a Sharepoint doc library, and then given users the direct link. This works, but it still opens in MS Access; as dbGuy said, it won't open in a browser or anything like that.
So if I want to learn SQL, how can it work in the internet. What kind of Software that can be browsed by user on my website, than they can use the database let say only to see like the membership, and some one to input name etc... let' say our community need to have the membership database.

Thank you

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
So if I want to learn SQL, how can it work in the internet. What kind of Software that can be browsed by user on my website, than they can use the database let say only to see like the membership, and some one to input name etc... let' say our community need to have the membership database.

Thank you
You did not understand my meaning. As stated, it won't open in a browser. I was just mentioning an option for making your front end available (to anyone who has Access installed and Sharepoint).

dbGuy gave you some startup ideas for if you want an actual web-based database - that works in a browser. Good luck!

hfsitumo2001

Local time
You did not understand my meaning. As stated, it won't open in a browser. I was just mentioning an option for making your front end available (to anyone who has Access installed and Sharepoint).

dbGuy gave you some startup ideas for if you want an actual web-based database - that works in a browser. Good luck!
Thank you for your explanation.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:57
So if I want to learn SQL, how can it work in the internet.
Strictly speaking, SQL and the Internet aren't really related (directly, at least). You establish a network connection between a client somewhere and a server somewhere else (and I'm using "server" in a very general sense). Then through that network connection your client sends some kind of SQL string - whether it is a SELECT, INSERT INTO, UPDATE, or DELETE or any of the variants thereof, and the server returns EITHER a status (for the action queries) or a data stream (for the SELECT and its variants).

In this transaction, the network is merely the carrier. With respect to the SQL content or the returns, the network is (or at least should be) totally transparent. If you want to learn SQL, use Access locally. It is more or less the same SQL you would use in client/server environments. I said "more or less" because each vendor of an SQL product will OF COURSE make some minor variations on the ANSI SQL standards.

Basically there are a very few ways things will work over a network collection. Access and a "native" back-end file work via SMB (server message block) protocol. Other back ends such as ORACLE and SQL Server use some ODBC variant. And network web-related connections will probably use an HTTP or HTTPS protocol or something similar. But in all cases, the network is merely a carrier. In fact, based on network "rules" the network can ONLY be a carrier, not a participant in the SQL side of the transactions.

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Strictly speaking, SQL and the Internet aren't really related (directly, at least). You establish a network connection between a client somewhere and a server somewhere else (and I'm using "server" in a very general sense). Then through that network connection your client sends some kind of SQL string - whether it is a SELECT, INSERT INTO, UPDATE, or DELETE or any of the variants thereof, and the server returns EITHER a status (for the action queries) or a data stream (for the SELECT and its variants).

In this transaction, the network is merely the carrier. With respect to the SQL content or the returns, the network is (or at least should be) totally transparent. If you want to learn SQL, use Access locally. It is more or less the same SQL you would use in client/server environments. I said "more or less" because each vendor of an SQL product will OF COURSE make some minor variations on the ANSI SQL standards.

Basically there are a very few ways things will work over a network collection. Access and a "native" back-end file work via SMB (server message block) protocol. Other back ends such as ORACLE and SQL Server use some ODBC variant. And network web-related connections will probably use an HTTP or HTTPS protocol or something similar. But in all cases, the network is merely a carrier. In fact, based on network "rules" the network can ONLY be a carrier, not a participant in the SQL side of the transactions.
OK The Doc_Man, Let's say my just developed MS Actryicess 2016. Can I put the back end in my website and my front end in my laptop now, when I try to split it putting back end in my website, how can I make it, what is the path.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:57
OK The Doc_Man, Let's say my just developed MS Actryicess 2016. Can I put the back end in my website and my front end in my laptop now, when I try to split it putting back end in my website, how can I make it, what is the path.
The Connection String for the linked tables contains the server address.

However Access backends arefar from ideal when used on a WAN.

Moreover I strongly advise you to not go down the path of putting a database online. There is far far more you need to know about doing this than what you are asking about. It would be likely that your back end would be compromised within hours.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:57
Then through that network connection your client sends some kind of SQL string - whether it is a SELECT, INSERT INTO, UPDATE, or DELETE or any of the variants thereof, and the server returns EITHER a status (for the action queries) or a data stream (for the SELECT and its variants).
This is not typical of how database are used over the internet.
It is usually more like this:
And network web-related connections will probably use an HTTP or HTTPS protocol or something similar.

Normally the server hosts code written in languages like ASP, php etc. The user fills in forms on the web page and triggers code such as javascript that sends data and requests back to the server. The server communicates with the database which returns data streams or return codes to the server which then builds new pages that load into the browser or updates parts of webpage being viewed.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:57
Can I put the back end in my website and my front end in my laptop now, when I try to split it putting back end in my website, how can I make it, what is the path.

If you are putting something on a web site as your question suggests, you WILL NOT be using Access. When I say "web site" I am now referring to the fact that a true "web site" is not ONLY a server but also is based on a folder infrastructure that contains various page-code files in various folders. The page code is activated through web-oriented protocols, not database protocols, and before you ask - web and database protocols for network activity are NOT the same at all - not even close. Totally incompatible. I am being a bit pedantic here to keep the distinction clear.

You COULD put a database back-end on a server that is also a web-site host, but the database back end would have nothing directly to do with the web site if we are still talking Access or an ODBC database connection. Many ways exist to activate a back-end database through a web site, but what USUALLY happens is that the web site contains code on a web page hosted by the web server. Galaxiom's last paragraph in post #15 above explains it so I won't repeat it. The code for a given page does all database operations locally on the server. Then the page code shows you your result. Your client machine's front-end is your browser and that is ALL that it is.

So to directly answer the question, the path between FE and BE (with an Access FE) DOES NOT and CANNOT involve a web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom