database sharing problems (1 Viewer)

kdt

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:39
Hi

I'm trying to use an access 97 database that I've created but there has been some problem with saved information being lost. when I go to save updates to the form I get the following message "Form has been changed since the last time you opened it, either by another user or because another instance was opened on your own machine.

Do you want to replace the changes that you or another user made"

I have never had this problem on other databases, as there is a few of us using this, can anyone suggest how to resolve this

Thanks

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 15:39
Are you making all the other users get out of the database before you make and save the changes?

kdt

Registered User.
Local time
the changes that I'm making is just regular data entry. I would understand if I was actually changing the layout of the form. I was hoping that i wouldn't have to get others to come out for regular data entry- I certainly dont have this problem with the other databases that I use :(

cheers

KenHigg

Local time
kdt said:
the changes that I'm making is just regular data entry. I would understand if I was actually changing the layout of the form. I was hoping that i wouldn't have to get others to come out for regular data entry- I certainly dont have this problem with the other databases that I use :(

cheers

Hum, that is odd. Do you have the frontend deployed on each work station or are all the users using a single FE on a server?

kdt

Registered User.
Local time
thanks for the quick reply Ken

No, we are all accessing it from one point on the server. Should I be putting a front end on each system? If so can you please tell me how? I'm a bit of a Newb :(

Thanks a bunch

KenHigg

Local time
You basically put the tables in one Access database called the 'backend' (or BE) and everything else in another Access database called the 'frontend' (or FE). Then put the BE on the server and a copy of the FE on each workstation and link to the tables in the BE.

kdt

Registered User.
Local time
thanks a lot, I'll give it a try for it tomorrow. :D

kdt

Registered User.
Local time
thanks mate. Our company has two servers for two sites, so after putting a copy on each server and linking them, it seems to have done the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom