Datasheet or Continuous Form (1 Viewer)

MattBaldry

Self Taught, Learn from the Forums
Local time
Today, 02:17
Hello again forumers,

Is there any benefit/difference to having a continuous form layout vs a datasheet layout when having a subform form sales order/purchase order items?

At the moment I do the datasheet option, and it works fine. I just wondered if there were any discernible benefits to changing these to a continuous form that then looks like a datasheet.

~Matt

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Mainly personal preference.
Continuous forms allow greater flexibility in terms of appearance and the layout can be locked down to prevent end users modifying it.
Datasheets are quicker to implement and give users the opportunity to change items such as column order and to hide columns. However, their appearance cannot be modified as much

MattBaldry

Self Taught, Learn from the Forums
Local time
Mainly personal preference.
Continuous forms allow greater flexibility in terms of appearance and the layout can be locked down to prevent end users modifying it.
Datasheets are quicker to implement and give users the opportunity to change items such as column order and to hide columns. However, their appearance cannot be modified as much

Thanks Colin.

I assume that with a continuous form layout you could have "sort" buttons above each column. Would this be something easy to code, have you any experience with this?

~Matt

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
I usually use Colin's approach, but recently someone asked about using the built in features to mimic Excel sort and filter. I was surprised how well it worked and very easy to implement.

Attachments

• FormFilterControl.accdb
    468 KB · Views: 221

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
MajP
I'd forgotten about that method which does indeed work well and, as you say, needs remarkably little code
If you haven't already done so, I think it would be a worthy example database with a brief explanation of the code in the accompanying thread.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
MajP
I'd forgotten about that method which does indeed work well and, as you say, needs remarkably little code
If you haven't already done so, I think it would be a worthy example database with a brief explanation of the code in the accompanying thread.

It needs supporting picture files I believe, as I received an error

Code:
cmd.Picture = "Filter"

when setting a filter?

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That code just sets the picture on the selected button to either a down arrow or a filter image. The images are located in the Image Gallery

IIRC that feature doesn't work in A2007. That section of MajP's app uses the same idea as the button image code on my Student Target Grade Explorer app for which I provided a separate version for A2007.
See http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/multiple-group-filter/4594454290

Try disabling that section of code and it should work for you in A2007

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom