Date Selection List Box (1 Viewer)

Carol

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:50
I have many reports in my database that are selected according to the month and year. I have used different criteria in setting up the selection processes for the user, such as date dialog boxes splitting the month and year and 'from and to' selections. I would like to standardize the selection by making a standard drop-down list box (which I can then apply to the on-open event of a report). When a user selected a certain report to preview or print, this selection box would then be called and the user can just highlight the given month and year and the report will be generated based on their selection.
Example:
January 1999
February 1999
March 1999, and so on

My problem: is this feasible given the amount of reports and the selection criteria?

Could this standard form be applied as my criteria base for the underlying queries on the report?

Would all the date fields and layouts within the associated reports have to be standardized to the same format?

Any help given would be appreciated.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:50
I have a print request form that I built several years ago that has proved quite useful. I have not made it generic so I have to modify it slightly every time I use it in a new app. I create a table which lists all the available reports, some descriptive information, and selection parameters. The print form has two list boxes. The left box lists all the reports from the table. The user uses the left and right arrow buttons I placed on the form to move reports from the left box to the right box. After they have selected all they want to print they press either a print preview button or direct to printer button. I then analyze the selection parameters of the selected reports and pop up a dialog box containing the necessary fields. In one of my databases there are three possible choices - customer, vendor, and/or date range. The customer and vendor fields are combo boxes to eliminate typos and the date fields are edited. All the reports' queries refer to this form's fields for their selection criteria.

This may be a lot of work for you if your selection criteria is more extensive because the popup could get very complicated. Plus you would need to change all your queries to refer to the form fields and build the table which runs the whole thing.

I hope this isn't too complicated but in your post you didn't sound like you were afraid to code something. You just seemed to want confirmation that an idea you already had was feasible.

Good coding :}}

[This message has been edited by Pat Hartman (edited 01-17-2000).]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom