DATEDIF problems (1 Viewer)

wallacealeco

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:26
My problem is not how to use the function but to get it recognised by my worksheet. Typing it in fails, I get #NAME? . By using copy and paste from a different spreadsheet where it works I get the results expected. I can then copy & paste on the new spreadsheet, edit the formula and all is well. I can assure you apart from the cell ref each formula is the same. Thank you in anticipation.
1609835046996.png

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 09:26
that is because DateDif() is a User-defined-function.
it will only work on the workbook where you build the function or
copy the function in a New Module of another workbook.

wallacealeco

Registered User.
Local time
that is because DateDif() is a User-defined-function.
it will only work on the workbook where you build the function or
copy the function in a New Module of another workbook.
Thanks for your reply.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
My problem is not how to use the function but to get it recognised by my worksheet
Use Office 365 and a modern file format (like xlsx, xlsm, or xlsb) and it will always be recognized.

DateDif is not a user defined function.

wallacealeco

Registered User.
Local time
Use Office 365 and a modern file format (like xlsx, xlsm, or xlsb) and it will always be recognized.

DateDif is not a user defined function.
Thank you Isaac. On my laptop, Windows 10, Office 365 it works. I should of a said the problem is on my iPad. on the iPad I copied and pasted the formula from a PC originated workbook to a new one and it works but typing the formula in doesn’t.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Maybe it's pasting the values or something, or maybe it's just a temporary vision of success, just "waiting" for you to put your cursor in the formula editing bar and then press Enter, at which point #Name will come back.

Either way, you should expect it not to work unless you are on Microsoft Office 365, so what you are seeing is normal, mostly.

wallacealeco

Registered User.
Local time
Isaac, On the positive side, I can ‘fill’ the formula down the column, change values in the referenced cells and all is well but, as you suspected, any attempt to change the formula , ie “y” to “m” results in it failing. Thanks for your comments.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Certainly interesting. Supposedly it should work for Mac too according to MS, not sure why it giving you problems (at first I thought the problem one was older version of Excel - where I would expect precisely to see #Name behavior), but sounds like you have 365 for Mac on your iPad; if so, not sure why problem.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 09:26
maybe research more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom