Default Values (1 Viewer)

ltiner

Local time
Today, 07:23
I am developing an application that has several default values; company information, tax rates, etc. These values need to be available whenever the program is open. What is the best (correct) way to do this (hidden form, dlookup(), or what)?

Thanks

Alexandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:23
I can t say if this is the 'best' way, but here is what I do: I have a table with three fields to store fundamental parameters
TblSystemVar
-VarName
-VarValue
-VarDescription

Depending on the practical use of these values, I can call them on will (Dlookup or other), or store them on starting into a global variable (rare) or even eventually put them on a hidden form. Advantage: you can allow easy manutention for whoever has administrator rights, without requiring specific knowledge of how the DB works nor access to the code or forms in edit mode. My 2 cents.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:23
I would keep the values in a table. When the database is opened, I would open a hidden form bound to that table. The form fields can be referenced as necessary by the application code and certain users could have the authority to open the hidden form so the stored values could be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom