Delete Item (1 Viewer)

Valentine

Local time
Today, 12:02
So I have "Table" that is linked to SharePoint but the fields in the table have become obsolete and I need to delete those fields from the table completely. I know its a simple open in design view and right click delete but since its linked to SharePoint I get an error "Operation is not supported for this type of object". I then went to an old backup that was unlinked to SharePoint and the delete went off fine. Is there a way to delete these fields while still remaining linked?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:02
Have you tried deleting them from SharePoint?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 09:02
So I have "Table" that is linked to SharePoint but the fields in the table have become obsolete and I need to delete those fields from the table completely. I know its a simple open in design view and right click delete but since its linked to SharePoint I get an error "Operation is not supported for this type of object". I then went to an old backup that was unlinked to SharePoint and the delete went off fine. Is there a way to delete these fields while still remaining linked?
As theDBGuy said, the "tables" actually exist in the SharePoint list, IN SharePoint. What you see in the linked table in Access is a representation pointing to that physical object. (The same is true of any linked table, by the way). So, you can only change the physical object, i.e. the SharePoint list, by manipulating it in the physical environment where it actually exists, i.e. in SharePoint. Again, that is true for linked Access tables or SQL Server tables, etc. Go to where the object lives and manipulate it (add or delete fields, modify datatypes, etc.) in its home environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom