Solved Determining last update date of all objects (1 Viewer)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:03
For anyone following this thread: re Last Update Date of Objects

I moved some posts from thread (https://www.access-programmers.co.u...te-database-and-load-a-odue-using-vba.324815/)
that were diverting the original subject. They had been deleted. I moved and undeleted them because I felt they had information belonged to this thread where there has been a long discussion re last update dates of objects.

jdraw

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:03
@jdraw
Many thanks for doing that Jack

I've edited post #60 so it makes more sense in the context of this thread and to respond to a point made by @Pat Hartman that I had missed earlier

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:03
@Pat Hartman
As requested, here is an example app showing a list of all database objects and the object types.
It also includes the code I use to get the metadata (date created, date modified & object description)
In my tests, all values match those in the navigation pane at all times.

I thought I had posted this or something like it a few weeks ago, but I haven't gone through the entire thread to check.
As you would expect, the code is similar to that you posted in your app attached to post #59

Attachments

• DatabaseObjects_v2.3.zip
    89.7 KB · Views: 100

Shimon

Local time
Today, 13:03
@Pat Hartman
As requested, here is an example app showing a list of all database objects and the object types.
It also includes the code I use to get the metadata (date created, date modified & object description)
In my tests, all values match those in the navigation pane at all times.

I thought I had posted this or something like it a few weeks ago, but I haven't gone through the entire thread to check.
As you would expect, the code is similar to that you posted in your app attached to post #59
Hi,
I downloaded the example app and tried it on a file created and updated by Enterprise Architect.
This is a UML oriented analysis and design tool. The file format is ( at least in older versions of EA) an Access format. I changed the file extension from eap to mdb and opened the file in Access (2019).
The form showed all the tables, but the modified date did not reflect the actual modification date. I assume that in the navigation pane it would be the same.
I conclude from this that there is something in the Access front-end that updates these values, and this is not done by Jet engine ( which EA uses) to the SYS schema.
Thanks for the example, it will probably come to good use on my other Access DBs.
Sincerely,
Shimon

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:03
Sorry I missed this earlier. Colin's sample has the same flaw I was trying to overcome. The date/time changed seems to be valid in the Navigation Pane but there doesn't seem to be a way to obtain this value using the MSysObjects table or any of the properties in the collections. MS tells us to use the collections to obtain this type of information but this is a real missing piece that I wish MS would fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom