Digital signatures (1 Viewer)

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:34
Here I am again, sorry folks, picking your brains ...
I was looking into getting my code signed, and found a few CA vendors like Comodo and DigiCert and was considering signing on the dotted line when I found this: https://codekabinett.com/rdumps.php?Lang=2&targetDoc=signing-vba-code-access-accdb

It states pretty categorically that getting a digital sig is a waste of time, and in fact stops your code from running in the circumstance he describes.

Apologies if this has been discussed before (I did look), but is there general agreement on this? I created a self cert, and then went to VBA / Tools / Digital Signatures, and shore enuff, gave me the same message, and suggested I Package and Sign.

Regards to all,

Jack

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:34
When I was in a U.S. Navy environment, we had to digitally sign the file, but we were at the time using .MDB files because of the version under which the DB had originally been created. The signature I used was under the signing hierarchy of the SPAWAR (branch of the Navy) root certificate so that meant that my other users could open the FE with fewer warnings. (The Navy was NEVER out of warnings... but signed stuff got fewer warnings.) When it was properly signed, we didn't get the "Trust" warning when we copied it from the "master" location to the user's desktop or MyDocuments or whatever. But to be honest, I never looked deeper into it. Our IT guys were satisfied that it COULD be signed and that we were doing it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:34
Hi Jack. I knew that was the case with Access 2010, but the MS article says it changed with 2013 and up. Which Access version are you using?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:34
I've also had the same issues described by Phillip Stiefel and am not sure they have now been fixed
Out of interest, why do you want to use a code signing certificate?

I have used code signing certificates by Comodo/Sectigo since around 2012.
I use these so that applications downloaded by clients from my website do not trigger the Windows smart screen warnings.
However, I attach the certificate to the EXE file I create with an installer program to package the files.
That definitely works.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:34
DBGuy, I'm using 365.
Isla, I started down the rabbit hole of code signing because I trialled SSE Setup the other day, and it has a big chunk of information on code signing, all doubtless relevant and important.
But the installs I do aren't delivered over the web (they are all custom products), so SSE is a bit elaborate for my needs. Nevertheless, it brought code signing from the periphery to centre stage and I thought it is about time (new website, new clients, new products) to sign the darn things. Start looking a bit professional after all these years.
Anyhow, in the wash up I'll probably use a self-extracting zip, and possibly I could sign that if I wanted.
Comodo certificates look to be very competitively priced, which is a plus.
Thanks all,
Jack

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:34
DBGuy, I'm using 365.
Hi. I had asked because the article you pointed was complaining about not being able to sign the code using Access 2010. So, I was just wondering if you actually tried doing it already using M365.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I rechecked yesterday using Access 365. Even though I have a valid code signing certificate from Sectigo (previously called Comodo), Access reported that there were no valid certificates available.

BTW there are two levels of certificate available for purchase. The cheaper one may still cause some smart screen warnings until you are an established distributor. The expensive version shouldn't do so.

If you are distributing ACCDE files, you will also need to deal with 32/64-bit versions.
This recent thread at UA may be useful to you https://utteraccess.com/topics/2059046

Dreamweaver

Local time
I have just purchased Samlogic Visual Installer 2020 And am looking for a good Digital Sinature service I'll look at the one you use @isladogs Also thanks The Script you posted onUA it will come save me trying to work out the 32/64 bit Can aybody suggest any other service or advice.
I haven't used it yet but sure I will have a few questions ;) one thing Thats going though my head at the moment is Including any XActive controls I may use with a project

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Mick
I do hope you bought the Professional version of SamLogic VI as only that includes the scripting feature.
I'm still using the 2017 version but at some point may update it again

Good to know that script will come in useful.
For info, that functionality exists because I specifically requested the OFFICEBIT function be added to VI.
SamLogic have also added several other items I requested over the past 6 years. I find them very helpful

With very rare exceptions, I avoid the use of ActiveX controls because they are often blocked by end users for safety reasons.
As a result, I've never had a reason to distribute an ActiveX control with my apps.

I do very occasionally use a built in ActiveX controls such the MS Slider control.
Even then add error handling to cover any issues if ActiveX controls are disabled.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Hi Colin I could only afford the standard version:( I have 3 copies licence as I need it on 2 systems but I can upgrade should things work out.

The code signing is an expence I had take account of but didn't really do my homework there as it's a lot more expensive than I estimated but thats my own fault lol

thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That's a pity as the Standard version is a lot less powerful. I use scripts with ALL my installation packages to add additional functionality.

Do you really need more than 1 license?
I run all installations from the same workstation so only have 1 license
To handle both 32-bit & 64-bit ACCDEs, I create them on separate workstations (but using VMs works just as well) then copy the files to my main PC which has the VI license.
If that would work for you, I expect SamLogic would agree to changing your license to a Pro version for 1 workstation.
I also wouldn't bother with 12 months support as their website has lots of help articles.

Hope that is of some help

Dreamweaver

Local time
I'll contact them as I do feel it was a mistake it'll just take a few weeks to find the funds for all the other bits like sig, and images but the guy I use for my images doesn't charge a lot as I need then for every project.

I never bother with the support lol

Many thanks for all your help Colin.

Mick

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Excellent. Was that for the same price?
Pity I don't get any commission! :)

Anyway, I think you've made a good choice of installer ... though others are also available

Dreamweaver

Local time
@isladogs They didn't charge me any extra:) Just need to sort a Digital Signature Now Have checked the company you posted but it's very expensive so still looking around but should be able to manage a year
Am thinking of the Ev Code Signing option?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You can get Sectigo certificates far cheaper than that by using one of their approved partners e.g. KSoftware.
There may well be other partners with even lower prices

I still use the cheaper OV certificate that existed before the EV version was added
There is a greater risk that the Windows Smart Screen warnings will be triggered using OV as you will be a new distributor.
As I'm now established, my applications no longer seem to trigger the warnings so no point in spending more on the expensive EV version
However that may not be the case for you as you are just getting started.

Whichever you decide to purchase, they will require certified proof before issuing a certificate.
I registered with Dunn & Bradstreet who did the validation checks before I applied for the code signing certificate.
The first year it took a few weeks to manage validation by providing required documentation but renewing in all subsequent years has been quick & easy

Dreamweaver

Local time
Thanks Colin For all your help I'll let you know how I get on.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I've now got my D-U-N-S Number so can move forward with the next stage but have been furloughed again But going to keep at it.
It does mean Database Dreams is now mine :)

thanks mick

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Glad to see its all slotting into place even if the latest furlough is a mixed blessing.
Keep safe during your enforced layoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom