DigitalPersona U.AreU. 4500 Fingerprint Reader Integration with MS Access (1 Viewer)

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
Today, 08:14
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience in making use of a fingerprint reader within MS Access?
This is something i am considering for my project and don't wish to recreate the wheel..

I've just got hold of a couple of DigitalPersona U.Are.U 4500 Fingerprint Readers... (Second Hand Hardware Only but Working)
First issue is that Windows 10 installs the incorrect driver when you connect the device over USB. This is easily solved using a replacement driver yey.
The second issue is that the SDK is not freely available and is only available to registered users in which you can only register if you have purchased something new from the seller website. (Intentionally not mentioned here)

I have managed to get a copy of an old SDK however the project samples are missing preventing me from completing this project..
I also managed to find a part working example in that i can scan fingers and save the results to a table but i am unable to verity an offered fingerprint as the code behind the verify button is missing.

Just my luck....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 05-13-22 at 12.44 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 05-13-22 at 12.44 PM.PNG
    84.6 KB · Views: 238

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:14
Do you have the manuals that go with that reader? It might help you with the setup. However, without a system developer kit, you will have to use the product as-is 'cause you wouldn't be able to customize it. I think part of your problem is going to be that if the vendor is retaining tight control over the product, you are going to be stuck in contacting them to see what they want in return. HINT: If they want your firstborn, say NO. If it is only money, think about it.

Seriously, it sounds like this driver does something special, some kind of handshake that an ordinary serial or parallel interface won't handle easily.

EDIT: I looked it up online and it says that the driver digitally encrypts an image of the fingerprint for analysis by the fingerprint database engine. You could spend a lifetime trying to figure this one out. For an obsolete product, you might find something online. For a current product, I would expect the vendors to keep it tied up tight.

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
Do you have the manuals that go with that reader? It might help you with the setup. However, without a system developer kit, you will have to use the product as-is 'cause you wouldn't be able to customize it. I think part of your problem is going to be that if the vendor is retaining tight control over the product, you are going to be stuck in contacting them to see what they want in return. HINT: If they want your firstborn, say NO. If it is only money, think about it.

Seriously, it sounds like this driver does something special, some kind of handshake that an ordinary serial or parallel interface won't handle easily.

EDIT: I looked it up online and it says that the driver digitally encrypts an image of the fingerprint for analysis by the fingerprint database engine. You could spend a lifetime trying to figure this one out. For an obsolete product, you might find something online. For a current product, I would expect the vendors to keep it tied up tight.
Thanks for your time..

I do not have the manuals or any software with the reader...
Neither can i get hold of the SDK....

As you state; without these i would struggle but i like challenges...

I am in the process of requesting access to the manufacturer portal which is HID (formally Crossmatch) legitimately which offers technical reference manuals. I will give them a couple of days to respond however if my application is not accepted or they wish to take my "first borne" i will get what i need without them authorising access; just like to do it the right way as a preference...

While i wait patiently....

I spent 8 hours yesterday RE some of the drivers (And there are many?) using my best friend Google to piece some things together, fortunately I'm familiar with Bjarne Stroustrup's extension of the C programming language in which there are a couple of code examples thus i have a much better understanding of the calls and process etc..

Within MS Access I am now able to read all states of the device accurately, grab finger prints; assign them to a user and more importantly compare/recognise a fingerprint scan and identify the user bound to the scan result...

There is still much work to do on the code such as extensive error trapping but i am quietly confident i have got a base to work from.
Need to think about how to implement this into my project but on my logon screen i have made a start (Attached small video)

What i have done so far should work with many different readers that use the same chipset with in the reader therefore i will do an in depth right up and present it here for anyone that could make use of the code.

Attachments

• Finderprint Scan Login Example (Not Complete).zip
    165.1 KB · Views: 286

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
FingerPrintLoginForm.jpg

Nearly there now.... Just need it to bypass password requirement on FingerPrint input..

Attachments

• FingerPrintReaderIntegration.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 284

Cotswold

Local time
I'm not a big fan of ID by fingerprint.

As an example a gym I went to had it for member entry. Later I did some work at home that included a small amoumt of tiling. During that you tend to run down the tiles and joints with your fingers. Plus using the index finger for smoothing off mastic sealer. After that my prints had gone from the index finger on both hands. One being the gym entry index finger. So I had to re-register my finger on the system but this time chose the little finger on my left hand, with it being the least likely to be damaged. I also wonder if a cut on the finger would exclude a valid user.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:14
It would appear that Jon has been trimming this thread. For those newer members, the problem is unauthorized advertising. There is a fine line here. Please do not advertise your own products for sale. I have removed my own posts that have become irrelevant due to other removals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom