Disable export (1 Viewer)

R

RdJ

Does anyone know a way to prevent tables from getting exported to e.g. excel (so imported in excel).

I know you can prevent this with a database password, but that's not what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:23
Well...

If you are being selective about it, no.

If you don't ever want anyone (including yourself) to ever be able to do this, reinstall Access with the custom install option and don't include the wizards that support Excel operations.

But this will prevent YOU from using Excel yourself.

You could also try to customize your Access toolbar that is shown for your users and remove the "Analyze it with Excel" option. I'm not an expert in that, but you could perhaps search the forum for the topic of toolbar customization - or read Access Help on that topic.

DrJ

Local time
Today, 00:23
I know how to disable everything in access, but when I'm in excel and try to import data from my database, that is possible. So I want to disable importing.

Sorry if I was not clear enough.

Rob

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:23
in my opinion any precautions you'll be doing to disable this feature, if someone is keen on importing the data to excel there will always be a workaround!

DrJ

Local time
What if you put the data you don't want get exported/imported in an other database. You could then protect the new database and link it to the original db. That way you still have to enter a password when opening the database.

Does anyone know a way in which you don't link the table, but get data from it with VBA (the password then can be strored in the VBA)?

Rob

Anil M

Local time
Today, 12:53
Seems that there is no procedure/Code to disable import of access data base objects.....
Even ticking of 'show hidden objects' of any database unhides all hidden objects of all databases in a desktop. I am using Access2007.
Any suggestion to prevent this....?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Part of the problem is simple: Access is designed to make data available. You want to make it not available. Ever since Microsoft removed the user-level security feature (which was buggy as all heck anyway), it has been up to the user to define his/her own security.

Access, being designed for a small business environment, doesn't do much in the way of user-level security. What you can do is find one of the active SQL back-end engines such as MySQL, SQL Server, ORACLE, ... there are many. Those back-end engines have more robust security.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:23
You have to lock down the FE as tightly as possible (find threads here on how to do this) and prevent the user from accessing tables at all. You also have to lock down the BE separately if your users are savvy enough to go there to get data.

You have more control over this (at least the BE part) if your BE is SQL Server rather than Jet/ACE.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I know how to disable everything in access, but when I'm in excel and try to import data from my database, that is possible. So I want to disable importing.

Sorry if I was not clear enough.

Rob
Hi Rob. Just curious, how exactly are you importing the table from within Excel. If only using the menus or wizards, try hiding the table in Access. I think hidden tables don't show up in Excel import (I could be wrong though). Other things I could be wrong and not show up for imports are system or maybe even linked tables, like ODBC tables or views(?). Again, just guessing for now...

Sent from phone...

Anil M

Local time
Today, 12:53
The provision for import of 'access database objects' to other databases kills all the securities added by the designer....

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Seems that there is no procedure/Code to disable import of access data base objects.....
Even ticking of 'show hidden objects' of any database unhides all hidden objects of all databases in a desktop. I am using Access2007.
Any suggestion to prevent this....?
Hi. Actually, there is a way to "hide" a table that even ticking show hidden objects will not work on it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The provision for import of 'access database objects' to other databases kills all the securities added by the designer....
Hi. Have you seen this?

zeroaccess

Local time
Maybe you don't. This is not possible if your database is encrypted.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:23
If you hide the tables, they will not be visible to the import wizard. But that means locking down the BE also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom