Solved Dlookup syntax issues (1 Viewer)

Shecky

Local time
Today, 15:52
Good day.
Having issues getting the syntax correct on this AfterUpdate event featured on one of my forms.

The code I am trying :
Private Sub SKU_AfterUpdate()
Me.[Product Description] = DLookup("ProductDescription", "Products", "SKU = " & Forms![Orders2].[Order Details Subform4].[SKU].Column(0))
End Sub

What I want:
On my subform, which enters data into my order details, I would like the 'Products Description' (yes has a space in the name) to be the result of a Dlookup for the matching SKU number in my products table.
afterupdate.png

Products.png

I tried a lot of variations but can not get anything that does not generate an error on the AfterUpdate event.
I need to save the Product Description to retain what was ordered at the time, as product descs can change overtime.
Please any help?

Attachments

• 1646676186869.png
    1646676186869.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 156

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:52
Strings need to be surrounded by single quotes ' unless it contains a single quote, then triple double quotes works, I think?

Dates with # and in mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy-mm-dd format

Numbers do not need anything

I tend to put the criteria into a string variable for domain functions if not a single simple criteria.

Then I can debug.print them to see if I have the syntax correct.

The when correct, I can use them in the function.

Plus, if you cannot see the error, you can copy and paste here or elsewhere, so someone can point out the error.?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 14:52
Since SKU is text you need to match it like its text in the Dlookup. That means surrounding the value you are supplying with single quotes:

..."SKU = '" & Forms![Orders2].[Order Details Subform4].[SKU].Column(0)) & "'"

Shecky

Local time
I am still getting a "object doesnt support this property or Method" error

Shecky

Local time
Is syntax proper on the...
Me.[Product Description] =

Is the fact that the Product Description control is a dropdown that selects from a query an issue?

Shecky

Local time
I have changed Product Description to a textbox and changed the code on SKU event AfterUpdate to:
Me.[Product Description] = DLookup("ProductDescription", "Products", "SKU = '" & Forms![Orders2].[Order Details Subform4].[SKU] & "'"
Now gives me this error...
error.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:52
You would need .form after the subform control

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom