Solved Dmax SQL in VBA (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 00:26
This may be slightly bad practice, but I am doing a small SQL statement in a module of mine and am having an issue with using DMax.

The code I am trying to put together is:
Code:
        Dim quotenumber As Long

quotenumber = Left(Me.QuoteNumTxtbx, 5)

strsql = " Update tblQuoteNumGeneration"
        strsql = strsql & " SET RevisionNum = nz(dmax("[RevisionNum]", "tblQuoteNumGeneration", "quotenumber")

The variable [quotenumber] was just an easy way I went with to find the first 5 digits of the quote (essentially the "primary" numbers). I then try to pass that into the DMax as my criteria.

The issue I am having is that I keep getting a compile error "Expected end of statement" and then it highlights [RevisionNum] in the DMax block. Why is that?

tmyers

Local time
Actually taking a step back and looking at it, it is probably because I tried an update, which isn't correct. I dont need to update, but add a new record. Must need more coffee.

tmyers

Local time
I am still having a problem with this one.
Now I am getting "Expected parameters = (some number).

Code:
        strsql = " INSERT INTO tblQuoteNumGeneration ( JobID, BaseQuote, Yearnum, RevisionNum )"
        strsql = strsql & " SELECT JobID = [Forms]![JobQuote]![JobID], BaseQuote = " & QuoteNumber & ", YearNum = " & MyYear & ", RevisionNum = " & NewRev & ""
        strsql = strsql & " FROM tblQuoteNumGeneration"

I think it may be how I am trying to pull the JobID that is causing it, but I would think that would cause a parameter popup wanting input if it didn't work.

The string output from debug.print:
INSERT INTO tblQuoteNumGeneration ( JobID, BaseQuote, Yearnum, RevisionNum )
SELECT JobID = [Forms]![JobQuote]![JobID], BaseQuote = 14937, YearNum = 20, RevisionNum = 2
FROM tblQuoteNumGeneration

Edit:
The FROM statement I added after the issue to see if that would fix it. It did not.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 05:26
I would expect you to concatenate the form value as you have for the other fields?

Debug.Print strSQL and see what is produced.?

tmyers

Local time
I would expect you to concatenate the form value as you have for the other fields?

Debug.Print strSQL and see what is produced.?
As is, Debug.Print output:
SELECT JobID = [Forms]![JobQuote]![JobID], BaseQuote = 14937, YearNum = 20, RevisionNum = 2

I will try to change how I derive JobID and see what it does.

tmyers

Local time
I just defined JobID in a variable like the others, and all it did was reduce the expected parameters error to 1 :ROFLMAO:

Debug:
SELECT JobID = 195, BaseQuote = 14937, YearNum = 20, RevisionNum = 2

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 21:26
does this work?
Code:
strsql = " INSERT INTO tblQuoteNumGeneration ( JobID, BaseQuote, Yearnum, RevisionNum ) values(" & [Forms]![JobQuote]![JobID] & ", " & QuoteNumber & ", " & MyYear & ", " & NewRev & ")"

Are all those columns numeric type?

tmyers

Local time
does this work?
Code:
strsql = " INSERT INTO tblQuoteNumGeneration ( JobID, BaseQuote, Yearnum, RevisionNum ) values(" & [Forms]![JobQuote]![JobID] & ", " & QuoteNumber & ", " & MyYear & ", " & NewRev & ")"

Are all those columns numeric type?
They are.
I finally had an example that helped me figure it out. I had two problems. One was BaseQuote should have been BaseQuoteNum (whoops).
The second problem was how I was doing my values for the append. Rather than doing them like JobID = "variable", just do the variable.

So my SELECT statement changed to:
SELECT " & ID & ", " & QuoteNumber & ", " & MyYear & ", " & NewRev & "
And it worked.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
They are.
I finally had an example that helped me figure it out. I had two problems. One was BaseQuote should have been BaseQuoteNum (whoops).
The second problem was how I was doing my values for the append. Rather than doing them like JobID = "variable", just do the variable.

So my SELECT statement changed to:
SELECT " & ID & ", " & QuoteNumber & ", " & MyYear & ", " & NewRev & "
And it worked.
Bingo.
I'd never seen alias=value before in MS Access, although common in sql server, so instead of researching that I just switched to Values (which is what I always use when doing dynamic sql vba), but glad to hear you got yours working too

tmyers

Local time
I still apparently did the DMax incorrectly lol.
I just ran a couple test, and it didn't do the criteria correctly. I did one job 3 times, which output 12345-20-4, which is correct.
Then I went to a different job and tried it. Its new number should have been 12345-20-2, but it became 12345-20-5.

My DMax variable is:
QuoteNumber = Left(Me.QuoteNumTxtbx, 5)
OldRev = Nz(DMax("[RevisionNum]", "tblQuoteNumGeneration", QuoteNumber))
Do I happen to need to flip revisionnum and quotenumber?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
what's the plain english requirement for the dmax? you literally just want the max, right?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
OldRev = Nz(DMax("[RevisionNum]", "tblQuoteNumGeneration", "[somefieldname]=" & QuoteNumber),0)

I also added a second Nz argument. You have to supply what do you want if it's null? I put zero, but you might be diff

tmyers

Local time
I just tried to find the highest [RevisionNum] for a particular [QuoteNum]

So if quote number 12345 has 4 revisions, my next one needs to be 5.
But if quote 13579 has 7, my next needs to be 8.
Does that help?

tmyers

Local time
OldRev = Nz(DMax("[RevisionNum]", "tblQuoteNumGeneration", "[somefieldname]=" & QuoteNumber),0)

I also added a second Nz argument. You have to supply what do you want if it's null? I put zero, but you might be diff
That did it.
One of these days I will get good at doing this.
Hopefully.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Just remember "the last portion of a domain aggregate function (dmax, dcount, dlookup, dmin) is the same as: the literal string of a 'where' clause, without the word 'where'

tmyers

Local time
Just remember "the last portion of a domain aggregate function (dmax, dcount, dlookup, dmin) is the same as: the literal string of a 'where' clause, without the word 'where'
That makes it much easier to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom