Do any of these speak for you? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 09:18
A few quotes I like. I left my favorite one for the last. It is absolutely astonishing to me how well this very short phrase describes the attitudes of tinkerers I've observed throughout the years.

Add more! I will if I come across

“Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning

Algorithm: Word used by programmers when they don’t want to explain what they did

99 little bugs in the code. 99 little bugs in the code. Take one down, patch it around. 127 little bugs in the code …

One man’s crappy software is another man’s full-time job

A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street

Hey, it compiles! Ship it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:18
My own favorite is "Artificial intelligence cannot cope with natural stupidity."

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:18
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning

This merits a separate reply. One day, the place where I worked (two jobs BEFORE my Navy job) was going over a list of candidates for a couple of application programmer positions. We were getting a bit punch-drunk on some of the most AWFUL resumes we have ever seen.

Someone said, "Maybe we can hire one of these idiots to help us test programs to make them idiot-proof." Dead silence but lots of shaking of heads, all of us contemplating how to answer that.

Maybe fifteen seconds later someone said "What idiot would apply for such a job?"

Someone chimed in, "What idiot would place an ad for such a job? Newspaper ads aren't cheap."

Rapid-fire response was "Does an idiot manager CARE what he spends?"

Next comment, seconds later, was "What idiot of a manager would even HIRE such a person as would apply for the job?"

Rapid-fire comment fired up next: "Is there a temp agency that farms out idiots for hire?"

By this time we were all goners. We put the resumes aside and did something else for about an hour. None of us could even LOOK at another resume until the next morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom