Do you answer a “Please Do my homework” question? (2 Viewers)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 06:54
Recently I’ve seen several posts that seems to be an assignment or a homework. Not only the OP has not the slightest idea what a database is, but also he doesn’t know what exactly he needs. I‘ve also seen threads where OP has asked for a detailed step by step for the solution or do it and upload it for me.

Most Cad/Cam forums I post to, you have to post a screen shot or the exact 3D file along with your question or explain exactly what have you done to overcome the problem. It’s a way to show you have tried to learn and failed. Then you receive the help. Otherwise you receive a “show us what you have done.“

I just wanted to see what’s your policy for these type of questions and those who don’t try to learn and ask for somebody to solve the problem for them.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:54
I take it on a case by case basis. Often I'll give someone code no questions asked, but not as much the 3rd or 4th time in a row.
I don't care at all whether something is related to school - I'm not the question police - However, I am a big fan of this article, and used to link to it in my signature at UA

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:54
My general policy, and it is STRICTLY personal, is that I get neither a grade nor paid for what I do. Therefore, it is my choice to answer in the way I see fit. Legit-sounding problem descriptions make me enter a cooperative mood. When I see something that seems too much like a familiar assignment, I ask if it is for school. I might offer a verbal (i.e. NO CODE) suggestion as to how to approach it. If they plead that they don't know how to do that, I give them reading references. If all they want is raw code, I give them air code.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I am not a big fan of writing the code for someone.
1. It takes me a while to do so.
2. I feel the poster does not really learn easily that way. Why would you, when someone else is doing it for you.? That is human nature.

I've seen members post extensive code/db for someone, only for them to come back and ask for more. No inclination to have a go themselves. :(

I have written code sometimes where it has been a theoretical challenge to me, as it might be something I would need to do perhaps. However those situations are rare.

I have no objection to helping someone with their school project, but I am not going to write it for them. I'd rather steer them in a direction that would help, which is why I post a lot of links instead.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I generally prefer to "teach how to fish" rather than "give fish". I won't do their homework for them, I'll try to point them to the answers and let them work out the solution on their own.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
I've seen members post extensive code/db for someone, only for them to come back and ask for more. No inclination to have a go themselves.

Agreed. I've come to recognize a few user names that I just avoid because I am tired of telling them and they are tired of hearing, that their approach is wrong and they need to build a good foundation rather than continue to ask the forum to pile on band aids. But sure enough, I check the thread later and someone who supplied prior band aids has spent a few hours building even more band aids for them that the original poster will never understand and will need help with when even the slightest thing goes wrong with them.

No problem helping with homework posts, but I avoid the ones where you can see that their only intent is to have someone do the work for them.

deletedT

Local time
I don't care at all whether something is related to school - I'm not the question police
If it’s a homework and you do it instead of the student, isn’t it cheating?

Your link was somewhat long and I hadn’t read it yet. Maybe when I read it after work, the above question is answered.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It is a bit of a bug-bear of mine, show us some effort before I expend mine.
Nobody gets paid for being here, and I like to assist where possible, but PLEASSE HEELP MEZ - ITZ BROKE (write me the full code please) threads annoy me and I generally ignore them. When I don't I get into a discussion I wish I hadn't started most of the time.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
>>If it’s a homework and you do it instead of the student, isn’t it cheating? <<

Yes, they might be cheating. Anyone on the other end of the line may be doing any number of wrong things. They may not even be allowed to surf the web at work. They may be doing contractor work for someone and not reporting it to the IRS. The link between me and what they are doing is not something I worry about, unless someone sounds like they are doing something totally illegal or wrong. It's just not my business. I use all the other criteria that's been mentioned, but I don't consider myself in the role of enforcing a distant university's policies.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
>> If it’s a homework and you do it instead of the student, isn’t it cheating? <<

Really the students are only cheating themselves.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If it’s a homework and you do it instead of the student, isn’t it cheating?

It is a matter of personal principle, but to me it IS a form of cheating. I've mellowed with age, but there were cases like that earlier on this forum (pre 2010). I told people flat-out that I wouldn't help them with their homework because when they flunked out for not paying attention in class and finding nobody to help them to cheat, that would be less competition for me when I decided to change jobs. I'm not in the job market any more so my attitude is kinder and gentler. (Having two loving grandsons helps a LOT with the curmudgeonly attitude.) I still don't do code for those cases but I don't snap their heads off as often.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Here's something I honestly just now thought of. How do we even know it's cheating? How do we know that their project hasn't totally opened them up to be allowed to ask for forum help? I have been involved in master's data modeling projects where online research and Q&A were very much allowed. Just a final thought.

deletedT

Local time
The fact they try to hide it’s a homework shows that on line help is not allowed. Otherwise why trying to hide it?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Or, they've already read our minds and know they'll simply get less help if so.

deletedT

Local time
To those who answered in some cases will help, even if they know it’s a homework.

Have you considered how your help puts an instructor or a teacher in trouble? He tries to teach, you help the student not to learn.

Important note: I’m not arguing you’re doing wrong. I’m trying to understand.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:54
I try to limit how much i help with homework as they should have paid attention in class and are often under the gun to get something done. I recall one instance where they shared with us exactly what the teacher assigned and it made no sense whatsoever. I wish I could remember the details but the consensus was to tell the kid to tell his teacher he was wrong.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I will try and help anybody who seems to be trying to solve their problem, but those who just expect somebody else to do all the work I tend not to get involved.

I'm better at building examples than answering complex questions As I stuggle with putting thoughts to paper.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I try to limit how much i help with homework as they should have paid attention in class and are often under the gun to get something done. I recall one instance where they shared with us exactly what the teacher assigned and it made no sense whatsoever. I wish I could remember the details but the consensus was to tell the kid to tell his teacher he was wrong.
I remember this as well, ages ago. Wonder if my search skills can dig it out. Mind you @moke123 is normally the searchmiester!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:54
Like others, I ask if it is homework and ask what have they done so far. I often ask posters generally to describe what they are trying to do in plain English --based on an old Feynman approach - if you can't explain it to a 6 yr old(me in this case), then you probably don't understand it. If I find it's a homework issue, I try to explain a concept or approach - even if it takes a few posts. If I see an honest effort, I will offer code or an example of a concept/approach. In many cases it can be a learning or refresher exercise for me also.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I'm building another template and noticed a poster having problems with a audit trail so decided to add one I've used for more years than I really want to admit to lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom