does anybody like apple? (1 Viewer)

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 08:29
I don't think I've ever seen a thread started about this company. but there was one started about the iPhone not too long ago. who here owns apple products? and what do you think of them? iOS 15 is apparently ready to be released:

in this manner, other things can be talked about instead of the inevitable windows OS, which seems to rule the world around here:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have not liked the Apple products I have seen. They tend to "hide" too much. Many of my friends who have Apple products say that they are easier to use for simple stuff but really tough to use for advanced operations.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:29
iPhone and iPad's here and use both daily and would not switch. I especially like the ease of taking notes when walking around a Client's site which is the secondary reason for purchase and the fact that trying to read eMail on ANY phone is for mice, too much scrolling (primary reason for purchase). I never intended to do any serious work on them. I needed ease of use and ability to transfer items to my Windows machine.

conception_native_0123

Local time
trying to read eMail on ANY phone is for mice, too much scrolling (primary reason for purchase).
one of my brothers has an apply watch and sends text messages on it to his wife frequently. the other day he was doing that and I finally said something to him because it looked a bit out of place!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:29
I just can't stand the thought of such a closed-circuit platform - just not me. But, to each his own. Some people love them - more power to them, if you've got that much money to spend on a phone. I seem to have more freedom and options using a $35 LG Risio than my Apple family members do using their $1,000 devices...although theirs are much prettier than mine!

I won't start the whole diatribe against Apple products that I am tempted to, but only say this anecdote: My parents and sister (who run her own business, and insist on using Macs because "it would be too hard to learn how to switch") often come to me for help or advice on all things computing. I can't really help them much, because my ideas come from the well that is the 98% of computing solutions that are for Windows - products, software, services, community knowledge/research, and support. I am left somewhat helpless, so they scurry off to find out whether or not Apple has just so happened to create something just for them - if so, great. If not, they're kinda ... screwed. I can't imagine living like that, but they love their devices, because (thankfully) Apple seems to pretty much make sure to create "one" app for every one of their imaginable needs - and good that they do, since they can't take advantage of the 3,500 apps that exist for each one of those needs in the non-Apple world.
The conversation goes something like this:

Them: "How should I handle ___________?"
Me: "Oh, gosh, that will be easy, there's 3,500 different products out the.......OHHHHHH, wait, sorry, I forgot you're non-Windows. Better run off and find out whether Apple has made you something that does that"
Them: "Yes! I found it! Apple has made a thing called [the i_________] - Thank God! [Breathes sigh of relief, and I shake my head, wondering why anyone would want to live that way]

Ok, now, nobody be upset please, I'm largely teasing, with a grain of truth thrown in.

I realize that accepting Windows security issues and various other challenges can be roundly criticized too - Maybe it has a lot to do with just what I have gotten used to!

Last edited:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
@Isaac I get where you are coming from as some family members have the other phone 🙃 and ask for help and I am in the same position. That said, purchasing a Mac? Out of the question. The devices I have do what I need them to do, the phone more so and with so much ease no thought is required. I go my first iPad before the Surface came out. and, IMHO, it came out weak against the iPad. Now that it has finally grown up some it's more like a laptop then a tablet. I don't need and yet another laptop.

I should also note, it was NEVER about the cost or the looks, it was ALWAYS about *what can you do for me* to make my life easier. With little research it turned out to be Apple.

Side note, on top of all of that I have Google Home devices around my house and thinking about switching to Alexa because a wee bit more flexible. So not committed to Apple products, looking ease of use and tie into my existing security system which Google does not. They want me to by all THEIR devices.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I walk by the Apple store in malls and see the endless lines of people waiting to buy or get something fixed. I look at my wife and we have a good chuckle.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@Isaac I get where you are coming from as some family members have the other phone 🙃 and ask for help and I am in the same position. That said, purchasing a Mac? Out of the question. The devices I have do what I need them to do, the phone more so and with so much ease no thought is required. I go my first iPad before the Surface came out. and, IMHO, it came out weak against the iPad. Now that it has finally grown up some it's more like a laptop then a tablet. I don't need and yet another laptop.

I should also note, it was NEVER about the cost or the looks, it was ALWAYS about *what can you do for me* to make my life easier. With little research it turned out to be Apple.

Side note, on top of all of that I have Google Home devices around my house and thinking about switching to Alexa because a wee bit more flexible. So not committed to Apple products, looking ease of use and tie into my existing security system which Google does not. They want me to by all THEIR devices.
Yeah, I have to admit to some extent it's a matter of familiarity. One funny thing, I've never owned a tablet - but, I keep meaning to buy one. I've also never owned a Smart TV! Actually the smart TV would probably be first, but at the moment, Roku meets most of my needs - and I still have an older Roku version that I bought off of Craigslist for like $15 years ago. Oddly, my work is technology, but I tend to live apart from probably 75% of it. And even that is getting tiresome to me! When I retire my dream job would be a beef cattle ranch.

I'm very curious about all these smart home devices, never owned one of them either! Perhaps one day I'll try them out.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm sorry Isaac, but that's not going to go anywhere if this, and other initiatives, get any traction at all:

True enough. And I'd probably be considered the most evil of all ranchers - doing it mostly for enjoyment! How dare I ...

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm very curious about all these smart home devices, never owned one of them either! Perhaps one day I'll try them out
Yeah, well, so far unimpressed with these smart home devices. Seems to me I had less stress when my home was *stupid*. :unsure:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
@Isaac (no laughing from the peanut gallery upon reading)

So, I FINALLY threw away an old tube TV that was in the guest room which was only used when I went upstairs to clean. Took t*two men and a boy* to get that thing downstairs and out the house. Carried the flat screen upstairs myself, plugged in the Roku and my guests (yep, they helped get the old one out) welcomed me to the 21st Century! :LOL:

I then got a smart TV for downstairs, my first one. Okay, nice having everything built-in but a thought occurred to me. Isn't this like the all-in-printer? One thing breaks and I can't just unplug that stick and move it to another TV? If one thing breaks I have to wait to get it repaired or just go by another all-in-device? I feel like I have to buy a back-up TV just in case. Okay, maybe overthinking this but really? So now added to my *shopping list* is a back-up TV. Just trying to figure out where does one store a back-up TV? :unsure:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yeah, well, so far unimpressed with these smart home devices. Seems to me I had less stress when my home was *stupid*. :unsure:
LOL! Yeah, the availability of my phone in my hand with my google speech-search-widget is probably enough information at my fingertips for me.
Plus, to make those devices really worth it, don't you have to have the 'infrastructure'? For example, I have no smart light bulbs, no surround sound installed in-home, no smart locks or windows, no cameras, neither my garage door nor my climate control is not 'smart', etc. So for me the only benefit would probably be talking to it, to search for information, but gee, the phone is enough for me. Just getting my first car with bluetooth a few years ago got me pretty excited! Maybe I'm a lot more like my parents than I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom