Don't park outside my house! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:48
I came across this article yesterday: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7935655/Driver-BLASTED-neighbour-leaving-car-house.html

It was largely responsible for me starting the "Where do you draw the liine?" thread. People seem to be divided on what is right and wrong, even though one side committed criminal damage on the other.

Where do you stand on this parking debate? Perhaps it is different in America, with much more parking space available and less congestion compared to an overpopulated country like the UK.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Sadly you can even park across someones driveway and there is little the driveway owner can do, legally anyway.
My neighbour has just mentioned that he hates people parking outside our adjoining houses when we are both out as they park midway, thereby preventing another car parking there. When our cars are outside, we park in front of our own house?

A pet peeve of mine is people who park half a car length from the end of parking bays. Almost always people with small cars?
I call them Pinocchio drivers, as it as if they expect their car bonnet to grow and take up all that space. :D

Slashing someone's tyres is a little extereme, letting the air out would have been more appropriate if they really wanted to do something?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I call them Pinocchio drivers, as it as if they expect their car bonnet to grow and take up all that space. :D
:LOL:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:48
Gasman, that happens only if they tell a lie.

Our pet peeve is a neighborhood joint that serves pizza, calzones, spaghetti, sandwiches, and a few other morsels of popular Italian cuisine. They took over a building that had a much smaller clientele but they had inadequate parking. The zoning board held a hearing to request a variance from the zoning laws. I was having minor knee surgery and missed it. Good for them because I would have spoken out against it. They got their zoning variance to allow them to open the restaurant with inadequate parking for the expected traffic based on another of their restaurants in another area.

The result of that decision is that their clientele now parks on a narrow side street despite the presence of NO PARKING signs. They park next to the signs as though they don't exist. They park in front of our house, they partially block driveways, and all sorts of other bad things that lead to traffic hazards. If ever it happens that the fire department or an ambulance cannot pass through the narrow side street to get to an emergency, you can bet that there will be lawsuits. And we'll take pictures of the illegally parked cars that were in the way.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 14:48
At the risk of this spiraling in a direction i do not want it to, I will say this: if everyone lived by the commandment "Do unto others...", then most disputes would not happen.

My actions in the not so distant past make it the height of hypocrisy for me to suggest that, but it doesn't make it any less true...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:48
Perhaps it is different in America, with much more parking space available and less congestion compared to an overpopulated country like the UK.
Even though the link was clearly dailymail I was thinking this has to be a story about the the USA. ;)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Even though the link was clearly dailymail I was thinking this has to be a story about the the USA.
But we have tires, not tyres.

When I worked in a nearby city Parking was nearly impossible. All the free and long term parking was blocks away from my office.
I made myself a placard which stated "(My Profession) on Official Business" with our Agency seal on it. The parking Enforcement ladies thought it was real
and never ticketed me. I could park all day anywhere and never feed a meter.

AC/DC

Local time
If it's a public road you're free to park wherever you want. The neighbor that slashed the tires is in the wrong. The neighbor is not entitled to park outside his/her house since it's not his/her personal space.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The topic seemed so polarising that I thought it would be an interesting debate in The Watercooler.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
The topic seemed so polarising that I thought it would be an interesting debate in The Watercooler.
Jon,

last week when we had a severe ice storm here locally, I came back from the restaurant at 3am and someone was parked in my reserved space. It has happened many times since I moved in here, and it's usually the foreigners that come to visit their families here. I don't own a car, and I was driving a rental. There was still a lot of snow on the ground and every other space that was in the guest parking stalls were covered with 10 inches or more of snow, so I knew I couldn't park there with a 2-wheel drive car or I'd never freakin get out! I had no way of knowing who it was, so I had to call the towing company to haul the car away.

I call the towing company => they claim they can't do anything unless they get permission from the apartment complex's CEO, so I call him, he calls the company and approves it, the driver comes out....however, when I was on the phone with the dispatcher I told her specifically to make sure the damn driver looks at the steep hill he has to go down to get to my building before he attempts it! It was covered in a sheet of ice. So the dude gets here, calls me, has me come out and sign the paperwork, and I let him haul the car away. All during this time, my car is parked in another reserved spot that wasn't mine, that just happened to be cleared of snow. So I went out 1 hour later to see if my spot is empty so I can park in it, and the damn tow truck driver's car is half way up the hill covered in ice, jack-knifed sideways with 2 cars just inches from him that also were stuck.

All in all, the people had to call the cops, and they called the city gravel company to come and lay sand down on the entire road. The entire debacle took about 3 hours! I went out at about 6am and everyone was gone. When I first saw the driver stuck on the hill, I asked him if he was told to look at the damn hill before attempting the drive down. And he's like "NO, noone told me that". But he also said: "My boss is sure getting her ass chewed right now". LOL. Makes me wonder if his boss is now out of a job or not.....?? I have not called back since, cuz I don't want to seem like the culprit in the whole scenario. =) I warned them!

• Wow
Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Years ago, when I lived in the centre of a city (Brighton), I had a friend come over to mine. He was always a bit of a jack-the-lad type. An hour later, my next door neighbour knocked on my door and asked me if he knew who parked in his driveway, blocking him from getting his car out of the garage. My friend said, "Oh, that's me!" Then he left and drove off. I was so embarrassed! I couldn't believe he just parked in a neighbours driveway blocking his car in. Unbelievable!

See below for where he parked!

1581256004770.png

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
He was always a bit of a jack-the-lad type.
LOL. I'm sorry sir, but you're going to have to educate me on that English tongue! what the heck is "jack-the-lad"? Is that like saying in america, "a blowhard"?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
and by the way, YES, I've been up all night. I've not slept for 40 hours, and I still feel fine. I told you about the gift I've been given, didn't I? :) and you don't believe me.....shame on you.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You will have to tell me what a blowhard. It sounds a bit vulgar. Jack-the-lad, is someone who is brash and cocky..

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm lucky enough that my British friend at work has a mouth like a construction worker. She has graciously educated us in all sorts of British slang.

I used to live on Long Island, the traffic capitol of New York.
Now my traffic jams look like this
14199744_10154428443756838_3750810271754917376_n.jpg

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
You will have to tell me what a blowhard. It sounds a bit vulgar. Jack-the-lad, is someone who is brash and cocky..
no it's not vulgar Jon! my father uses the term all the time. he was a financial planner for 40 years and so were all his brothers. they describe a "blowhard" as someone who is very hard headed and always wants to get their way. they've got a serious problem accepting that sometimes they could be wrong and someone else is right. but the people my dad refers to are usually people who are white-collar workers in the private business sector.
I'm lucky enough that my British friend at work has a mouth like a construction worker.
I guess that's a little better than having a mouth like a sailor! NO? =)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A long story about parking....

A number of years ago, the house I lived in had a 'semi' garage with my neighbour plus three parking spaces. We were in a semi rural area so parking as such was not at a premium - there was plenty of parking round the corner by the shop for example. The neighbour had no parking spaces other than in front to their garage

garage - neighbour
garage - mine
parking - mine
parking - mine
parking - mine

When we first moved in and after about a month, a volvo estate kept parking on our ground across the three parking spaces, so we had only one space and needed two. After a few days, I got fed up with this and made some enquiries. Discovered the car belonged to a new tenant of a rented house across the road which had two parking spaces anyway. When challenged he told me the agent had said it was OK to park on my ground and when I asked why when he had two spaces he said it mean't his car was pointing the right way for going to work the following day. Think he had strong words with the agent, but did not park on my spaces again!

My neighbours, a retired plod (policeman to our US cousins), would always ask if they had visitors if they could park on our ground. Even if we were away, we would come back to a note through the door - 'had visitors who parked in your space, hope you don't mind'. Of course we didn't mind unless we had visitors ourselves.

The neighbours moved to be nearer the sea and our new neighbours (a retired vicar) could not have been more different. As ours was, their garage was full of 'stuff' so no room for their car and without asking, they would park in front of our garage so a visitor could park in front of theirs. To be fair we would be at work so may not have been aware of every time this happened. Their rationale was because it was their car and not their visitors on our ground, that was OK. Although irritating, we lived with this arrangement, we only needed to get into the garage occasionally to pull out the mower, etc.

Until the day they went on holiday.

Most of this I found out afterwards. They were going with friends in one car (theirs) but because a) their parking space was nearer their front door and b) they wanted to park in it on their return without having to move cars(!), their friends car was parked in front of our garage. Right up to the door (apparently so the back of their car wouldn't get sprayed by passing vehicles when it rained, at least that was their excuse). We knew none of this, only that a strange vehicle was parked in front of our garage, we couldn't get into the garage and it had been there a few days, and as it happened I had wanted to mow the lawn and also needed the ladder to clear the gutters. I knocked on the neighbours door, but of course, no answer.

So I called the police, I genuinely didn't know the story but explained the problem and that I thought perhaps the car had been dumped. They were able to track down the owner (they had gone to the Lake District, about 150 miles from us) and told them if the car was not removed within 24 hours, it would be towed and impounded. So they had to come back early from their holiday to remove it. Poor souls...

But they still hadn't learned common courtesy. A few months later they were having a family gathering on a Saturday. The first we knew of it was when we came home from doing some shopping to find all our spaces had been taken. I was not a happy bunny. Some of the family were apologetic and immediately moved their cars, but the son decided 'it wasn't fair' and he would have to walk round the corner, others had moved their cars so now we had somewhere to park, so why did he have to move? I suggested that perhaps the exercise would do him some good. Couldn't believe his attitude.

That was the straw that broke the camels back. I wrote my neighbour a letter stating emphatically that he did not have any permission, implied or otherwise, to park his or his visitors cars on my ground and if found to do so, I would take appropriate legal action. He could write to me asking permission if he so wished and I would consider it.

His family and visitors became a lot healthier from walking round the corner after that.

To end the tale, a bit later I built a new house in our back garden, the drive to which was via the parking spaces, effectively isolating our garage from our house. So I sold my garage to my neighbour for the price of building a new one in a more convenient location. Afterwards he thought it unfair that I had a new garage and he had an old one and couldn't understand that I hadn't just sold him the bricks and mortar, but also the ground under it and the parking space in front of it.

The thing I never understood is why they bought next door anyway. Clearly they needed more than one parking space.

Reactions: Jon

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, if you will permit: A blow-hard may or may not be bull-headed, but is always VERY EXTREMELY vocal about his/her opinions. Vocal to the point of being overbearing. Blowhards will try to wear you down with a torrent of words. There is a secondary implication that the person's "bark is worse than their bite."

Just as a clarification from another viewpoint.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
oh my God, I'm NOT reading that whole thing! I'll get back to you on it.....I'll have to clear my schedule! talk about being long winded....and i thought I was bad....
Adam, if you will permit: A blow-hard may or may not be bull-headed, but is always VERY EXTREMELY vocal about his/her opinions. Vocal to the point of being overbearing. Blowhards will try to wear you down with a torrent of words. There is a secondary implication that the person's "bark is worse than their bite."

Just as a clarification from another viewpoint.
I would agree, based on the "blowhards" my dad has told me about and let me talk to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom