Solved Drop Down List filtered by User Permissions (1 Viewer)

Malcolm17

Local time
Today, 15:32
Hey All,

I'm redesigning my front end, just wondered if anyone can think of a way to filter a drop down list depending upon which user is logged on?

For example if the user called 'Manager' is logged on then the options in the list would be say: Manager Diary, Reception Diary, Customer Feedback, Financial, User Manager
If user called 'Reception' was logged on then the options in the list would be: Reception Diary, Customer Feedback, Financial
and if user 'Other' was logged on then the options in the list would be: Reception Diary, Customer Feedback

The idea is which ever option is chosen from the drop down box menu then the textbox for that field would be visible. At the moment I use a switchboard type access with tabs etc but I am looking to redesign and freshen it up a bit.

Thank you,

Malcolm

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:32
One way would be a table with fields for the option and the user. Your combo would choose the option field with a criteria on the user field. The appropriate combinations of option and user would be in the table.

Malcolm17

Local time
Hi Pbaldy,

Thats what I was hoping and planning however I just can’t workout how to get only the things that are ticked in the record queried by username to show in the list.

can you think how I can get headings from the query on to the drop down list?

thanks,

Malcolm

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:32
What I'm envisioning is a table with two fields:

OptionName...User
Reception Diary...Manager
Reception Diary...Reception
Manager Diary...Manager
etc

So if Manager is logged in they see their options, Reception sees theirs, etc. Your combo row source is SQL or a query with a criteria on user.

Malcolm17

Local time
Cool, thanks for that, I think I see what your saying. I’ll play around with it tomorrow and see how far I get with it.

I could do the source as sql or just as a query, I started off with the query idea.

if I get stuck I’ll post on my mock-up to see if you can help or show me where I’m going wrong.

Thanks again

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:32
see tblCombolist table.
see also Query1.
open form1.

Attachments

• FilteredCombo.accdb
    512 KB · Views: 455

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom