droughts (1 Viewer)

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 10:53
how bad are these going to get in the west? @AccessBlaster , any comment on this since you live in the middle of it?

Las Vegas has just declared a ban on grass. weird, but maybe strategic.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 11:53
What about golf courses? You can't golf on the dirt, at least I can't.

Mike Krailo

Local time
You're right, and it's also not necessary to live there either. I'd be packing up and moving east where the rain is.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, most of the western golf courses have solved that problem by making an except to the "no watering" rule. If it is waste water, you can use it on your golf course. Most people - the hackers and duffers - will probably hit a bad drive and exclaim "Shit" anyway, so heck - make it be true.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:53
Actually, they use non-potable water it's pretty much 100% reclaimed like the carwashes.

Non-potable water is not treated to drinking water standards and is not meant for human consumption. Non-potable water, such as raw (untreated) water from reservoirs, is used for irrigation and other purposes, in addition to recycled water (highly-treated wastewater).

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:53
I don't know anything about the problems Nevada is facing, but I wonder why they don't follow UAE?
Saudi Arabia and UAE set up a 50 years plan to change the climate. Now they are creating artificial rain storms.
Isn't it possible to do the same there? US has more money, better experts and enough resources. Then what's the problem?

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Isn't it possible to do the same there? US has more money, better experts and enough resources. Then what's the problem?
Not to argue your statement, but no country has more money than Saudi Arabia and the UAE..

KitaYama

Local time
Not to argue your statement, but no country has more money than Saudi Arabia and the UAE..
I'm not an expert but when I google for richest countries in 2022, neither UAE nor Saudi are even in top 10. (checked only several results)
By the way, US 2022 budget seems to be $6 trillion (from here)
while UAE is only $49 billion (from here)

All my life I thought US is the richest country in the world. Have I been wrong?

KitaYama

Local time
1.png

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
lol. I didn't want to derail the original topic of this thread and should have just kept quiet!

But since this IS the watercooler, who cares?

I guess we need to come to an agreed upon definition of "rich".

KitaYama

Local time
I guess we need to come to an agreed upon definition of "rich".
Having more money to spend I think. Or having more saving (gold & cash).
Again I'm not insisting. It's only what I thought all these years. I may be wrong.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Having more money to spend I think. Or having more saving (gold & cash).
Again I'm not insisting. It's only what I thought all these years. I may be wrong.
Exactly. The amount of "cash" that is left over after all expenses have been paid. If your references say the US is at the top (I can never figure out exactly what those charts are depicting!), then I stand corrected.

I do know this, the UAE is the only country I know where they actually have a problem finding ways to spend their money because there is too much of it.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Actually, most of the western golf courses have solved that problem by making an except to the "no watering" rule. If it is waste water, you can use it on your golf course. Most people - the hackers and duffers - will probably hit a bad drive and exclaim "Shit" anyway, so heck - make it be true.
Well, why attack the grass itself then? The rule should be that you can only used collected rain water or waste water. But I seem to remember some kind of evilness about collecting rain water for your own purposes. I guarantee, there is a ton of water that gets thrown right down the drain (waste water) and that's perfectly acceptable.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You can be the country that has the most savings, but that isn't the problem. When you have money lying around doing nothing, you are in effect as poor as a church mouse. Money is meaningless when idle. It only has value when used. After all, most money is a fiction. An idle stack of dollars is about as useful as an old Sears catalog EXCEPT when the stack is no longer idle.

Mike Krailo

Local time
That's what I love about Elon Musk, there is someone who put's money to good use. Builds his own school for his own kids where no grading system exists, builds rocket engines for space travel, and buys Twitter to take back free speech.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:53
don't know anything about the problems Nevada is facing, but I wonder why they don't follow UAE?
They probably have climate activists, whereas we have climate opportunists.
We could have Desalination plants on both coasts if we wanted, but they don't want it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Technically, you only need grass for the greens so in a desert, if you leave the fairways slightly oiled to keep down the dust, you can save a lot of water. That's how they used to do it in Kuwait and I think they still do that in the desert part of Australia

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom