Dumb question - Description Column width uneditable (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 09:05
So, this is just a dumb question, probably missing something easy...but...
I can adjust the columns in table design view of a new table as usual (mouse on caption column edge until the adjustment icon appears) but I can't do it on the Description column. It's like its centered with the left and right parts of the caption being cutoff. Never had this happen. I tried saving and reopening without a change.

JMongi

Local time
Seems to be happening on all new tables I create. Interesting...

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Can you post a screen shot? Is this on all databases?

JMongi

Local time
Can you post a screen shot? Is this on all databases?
Good question.....yes, it appears to affect all databases. Here is a screenshot from a second database I opened.

1621345851133.png

JMongi

Local time
I just tried closing and reopening Access. I also scrolled through the task manager to look for any rogue access processes and didn't see any.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Boy, this a weird one. How about reboot your computer.

JMongi

Local time
Have you tried turning it off and on again....? ;)
Already tried that to no effect.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:05
What happens if you switch to overlapping windows rather than Tabbed view?

JMongi

Local time
It already was in overlapping instead of tabbed view.

Edit: I guess the other database was in tabbed view! Neither setting works and I've tried adjusting the setting in both datasbases.

But, I switched views back and forth without effect. This last time it DID open the view with a hugely wide description field (though I did notice that the end of the column was still not adjustable). But, when I closed and reopened the design view then the tiny column was back.

JMongi

Local time
Before we get too crazy. Can you guys and gals edit the last column edge? I can adjust all the other column edges just fine. It's the far right column edge of the optional description column that I can't adjust whether in this annoying tiny view right now or even when it shows up with a really wide column. In either case, the far right column edge does not highlight for typical column width adjustment (for me).

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:05
Before we get too crazy. Can you guys and gals edit the last column edge? I can adjust all the other column edges just fine. It's the far right column edge of the optional description column that I can't adjust whether in this annoying tiny view right now or even when it shows up with a really wide column. In either case, the far right column edge does not highlight for typical column width adjustment (for me).

Short answer - No!

It shrinks when you move the right-hand border of the table design window.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Slide.jpg

My slider is not showing, but you can see that I am sliding the left side of the description box right. If you mean the right side of the description box then No.

JMongi

Local time
@Minty - That matches. My monitor is big enough that I've always had waste space as the max column width is reached. But I tried what you mentioned and that's how it functions for me....AND....

It "fixed" it! I don't know if it's permanent or not, but, when I adjusted the window to the left until it caught the right edge of the description column, then it dynamically adjusted the description column display width in conjunction with the window resize until it hit the aforementioned max column display width.

Who knows the idiosyncracies of such things. I'm just glad I can see my full descriptions again. Thanks!

JMongi

Local time
This always happens to me...lol! It's been many weeks since I've been able to dive back into this DB project and I just spent time troubleshooting a stupid GUI glitch. LOL!

JMongi

Local time
Update: It didn't FIX anything. But, it's easy enough to adjust the window so that it starts working again. Maybe I'll figure out the root cause some day.

Mike Krailo

Local time
I hit the restore down in upper right corner of the application window and stretched out my table in design view across my duel monitors and that right edge of the Description column cannot be adjusted manually. I switched to overlapping windows and still cannot duplicate this problem. Dragging the right edge of the table doesn't adjust the width of that column for me. It always stays at about 20 inches wide.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:05
I am able to resize (expand) the column width of the last (right-most) column of a table, in datasheet view, with no trouble

Mike Krailo

Local time
I think the issue is the Description column in design view and not datasheet view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom