Dynamic form which displays data following specific layout (1 Viewer)

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 07:46
Hello there,
We are working on a database which logs students individual lessons and attendance.
A key element is the timetable which must be viewed clearly, include subject, teacher and room for each lesson AND update on the fly.
I have enclosed a sample model. (Keep in mind that this is a special school where each child has an individual program.)
TimeTableModel.PNG

All data (except days of the week) are dynamic. Would it work to have a continuous form for each day of the week, which would display the sessions in order and detail teacher/subject/room and the times could change depending on the sessions input?
We would like to use this as a tool for timetabling so it should restrict a teacher/room which is already booked in for a session with another student.
All suggestions are welcome!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:46
Hi. You might like to take a look at some Calendar Demoes to see how dynamic forms can be created. For example, maybe do a search on Appointment Calendar Demo. Cheers!

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:46
yes it would work with continuous form.
maybe a Special select query or Crosstab query.

Kayleigh

Local time
I am working on Microsoft Access...
Thank you. Will a crosstab query cascade updates to the table?

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:46
no, it will not, just for display.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:46
This would be a good use for my "bound" denormalized form example. My forms use a subform in data sheet view. You would need the subform to be in continuous view because you will need more than one line per row. The form looks like a crosstab because it pivots properly normalized data but it is based on queries that are joined together. I built the form for an annual forecase which had 12 columns across. You have 5 days, which could be 7 if you offered classes over the weekends.

Attachments

• BoundDenormalizedForm20190212.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 384

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes, it can certainly be done though the process is likely to be far from straightforward.
The screenshots below are an example form & report from one of my commercial school apps: School Data Analyser.
These are for a school with a 2 week timetable and a 5 period day

TTForm.PNG

TTReport.PNG

The timetable is fully customisable for each school - 1 or 2 weeks, 1 to 10 period days
There is a PDF on the web link if you want to find out more about its features. That may help you see what is possible in Access

Last edited:

jaikaoliver

Local time
Today, 00:46
Yes, it can certainly be done though the process is likely to be far from straightforward.
The screenshots below are an example form & report from one of my commercial school apps: School Data Analyser.
These are for a school with a 2 week timetable and a 5 period day

View attachment 85268

View attachment 85269
The timetable is fully customisable for each school - 1 or 2 weeks, 1 to 10 period days
There is a PDF on the web link if you want to find out more about its features. That may help you see what is possible in Access
Can you share this timetable module alone, I have really searched for this.
please @isladogs

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Can you share this timetable module alone, I have really searched for this.
please @isladogs
Sorry no. It is as previously explained deeply embedded as part of a large commercial app.
It took a lot of time and effort over several years to create.
Even if I were willing to give it away it would take me many hours to separate it from the rest of the code.
Apologies but I'm not going to do that.

Kayleigh

Local time
Still working on mine...
Happy to share when completed. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom