Dyslexia (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:38
I was just listening to a discussion on Radio 5 about dyslexia being unrecognized in schools.

Is dyslexia real? I can't imagine anyone posting on AWF being dyslexic, any more than I can imagine us having trouble with arithmetic.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:38
If the Mayo Clinic recognizes it, I'm thinking it's real:

It would be interesting to know if any of the regular posters has it. Presumably it would make it harder to code but I'm guessing people could learn to work around any limitations it puts on them.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:38
I do know that I exhibit the behavior sometimes, but then I know it when I do. I guess that is the difference.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I listen to other people read on a regular basis. Every now and then someone has a special problem distinct from the people who merely struggle to read in general. Occasionally I've wondered if it's dyslexia. It seems like a reversal of a pairing that's in their mind - a reversal so immediate and perfect that it couldn't be a simple reading mistake, nor intentional - kind of hard to describe. Seems very real.

Also, what NG said.

@gemma-the-husky Now if you'd directed this thread at questioning ADHD or ADD diagnosis, then I'd have some different responses...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:38
Now if you'd directed this thread at questioning ADHD or ADD diagnosis, then I'd have some different responses...
I started to mention that too but like you, didn't want to derail the topic.

You should start another thread because I have a few things to contribute to that!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I started to mention that too but like you, didn't want to derail the topic.

You should start another thread because I have a few things to contribute to that!
I can't lie, on these watercooler and politics threads I have no shame in de-railing a topic.
Just started one on covid 19 treatment, I'll gather my thoughts on ADHD (if I can - HA HA) in the meantime.

Dave, to your comment on math problems within AWF members ... I have to admit, I'm pretty poor at math. I can do basic mental math, 26+47 etc., but I have next to no memory of whatever I learned in Algebra, for example, and would struggle near impossible to do mental math in something like, 3-digit division. So not totally gone, but not nearly as good as many are. But it seems like in the late-generation languages most people code in nowadays, math is no longer as relevant to computing careers as it once was? Just my perception.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:38
There is an issue to be discussed... what is meant by dyslexia? (THAT WAS RHETORICAL....)

The term dyslexia, from its Greek roots, means (approximately) "has trouble with words" - but the usual explanation is that people with dyslexia see the letters backwards. That actually CANNOT be the real definition because it would require people to SELECTIVELY see letters backwards but everything else forwards. Further, experiments have shown that if you wear inverting goggles for a couple of days, your brain automatically adjusts to the inversion and suddenly you see everything normally. So no, whatever it is, it is NOT that people see words backwards. I once had a long argument with a school teacher who had this fixation in her head that it was a "sees words backwards" problem. But no - it isn't that.

Here's a link to the definitions of the main types of dyslexia:

The most common kind, phonological dyslexia, can actually be traced back to a problem with eye-ear coordination and the fact that the traditional way of learning how to read involves learning how to "sound out" the words. For people whose eyes and ears don't work together, this becomes a serious problem. Someone did computer research on slowing down words spoken too quickly and found that dyslexics of the phonological type did better with a computerized word decelerator that allowed them to better hear the parts of the word in proper acoustic order.

Unfortunately, some dyslexia types are related to the mental ability to recognize whole images of words solely by sight. This is the visual dyslexia or dyseidetic dyslexia. The linked article gives some decent explanations.

@gemma-the-husky - your original question: Is dylexia real? .... is answered by this site. Yes, real enough to have four major variations.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:38
@The_Doc_Man

Yes, I did wonder how real it was, and whether it related to teaching methods, and maybe upbringing, rather than an innate and permanent lack of ability to distinguish letters and sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom