easy way to convert access front end to PHP? (1 Viewer)

mattress

Local time
Yesterday, 21:34
Hello!
I work on the computers at a small, non-profit organization.

We have about 15 employees, and will hopefully be expanding soon.

We started out with a paid-for Access application for our employees to keep track of everything.

A new project my boss wanted to do is convert to a LAMP server.

Easy enough.
I setup a test machine with the latest Ubuntu distro.
I installed the lamp package.
I installed phpmyadmin to create all the user accounts.

I used access to split up the front end and back end.

I migrated the back end (data) to the MySQL server on the Ubuntu computer.

I have Access setup with the MySQL ODBC connector, so everything is working fine.

The last thing I have to do is convert the access front end/forms to the web. I'm assuming PHP.

Is there a simple/cheap/free solution to convert the access forms over to PHP?

Thanks for any help!

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 05:34
Not as far as I know. I think you will have to build the forms in HTML together with PHP.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Someone once showed me a program which is sorta Access-like for PHP: PHPRunner

Personally, I'm inclined to believe it's too good to be true and would really want to write it from the scratch if I knew nothing about PHP. If i was otherwise familiar with PHP, I would then read the output PHPRunner generates just so I can verify it does not do anything insane (and most of time, auto-code generator does write insane codes).

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:34
Web GUIs work completely differently to MS Access GUIs.

Load up a databound form in MS Access with say 10,000 records in it's datasource and consider whether you would think it a good idea to serve up the same number of records over a web connection.

MS Access gets away with it because the client is either on the same machine or on the same network and there are usually a limited number of them.

Data access is completely different on the web because of the limited network capacity. I'm with Banana, I don't believe in wizardry. ;)

Wanetom

Banned
Local time
A direct conversion is likely to be useless, as the stateless nature of a web page means the architecture of the UI has to be completely different than the data-bound forms of an Access application. My bet is that an experienced PHP developer could get it done more quickly from scratch

shaba7

Local time
I assume you are referring to tabsheets/page controls. There is no such thing in HTML. You can mimic them using javascript and/or PHP. As well, there are no "autocomplete" combo-boxes. They will auto-search but I believe that that only works on the first character.

Funkyaccess

Registered User.
Local time
Might be a bit late.

but look at ORACLE Application Express(APEX) its free opensource front-end for ORACLE DB and you can migrate access db to it with a click of a button.

If you want more info then PM me or visit (http://apex.oracle.com)

bparker1084

Local time
No software can effectively convert these formats because the way Access forms work is fundamentally different from how web interfaces have to work to be usable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom