Edit form not accepting input - possible structure error? (1 Viewer)

Sam Summers

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:58
Hi again,
Been working on this for a long time and getting more confused. I have tried so many different things but I think I now have to ask for help I'm afraid.

I have an active DB which is working fine apart from this minor but important part.
From the view all Items form, the user doubleclicks on the record they wish to view/edit.

On opening the edit form i cannot get it to display the record details and then edit all the sections.

It may be the structure as it uses an intermediate table to create a many to many relationship but I'm not sure.

I have attached the forms and also the DB which is built on access 2019

To access it you will have to use the bypass key

If you can help that would be amazing as its driving me crazy, chasing the errors

Attachments

• ViewAllItemsFrm.png
    ViewAllItemsFrm.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 71
  • EditItemFrm.png
    EditItemFrm.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 68
  • EditItem Design.png
    EditItem Design.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 76
  • EditItem Form Data Source Qry.png
    EditItem Form Data Source Qry.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Lifting Equipment Database.zip
    2 MB · Views: 99
  • ExamStatusSubformEdit.png
    ExamStatusSubformEdit.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 80

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:58
why are the Two tables not Related?
you causing Cartesian (Cross Join)query there.
that maybe very dangerous.

Sam Summers

Registered User.
Local time
why are the Two tables not Related?
you causing Cartesian (Cross Join)query there.
that maybe very dangerous.
Hi Arnel, I've tried a few things and nothing works and now I have currently run out of ideas

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
totally confused by your instructions
when I double click on a record in the view all items form I an prompted for an itemID. But the edit item form uses a table called examinationstatus which does not have an itemID field. this is because you have a filter set on the form which is set when you doubleclick and use openform

Sam Summers

Registered User.
Local time
totally confused by your instructions
when I double click on a record in the view all items form I an prompted for an itemID. But the edit item form uses a table called examinationstatus which does not have an itemID field. this is because you have a filter set on the form which is set when you doubleclick and use openform
yes it does ask for ItemID. The Table Item has an intermediate table 'ItemStatus' which is linked to the table 'ExaminationStatus' to create a many to many relationship. This all works fine when entering all the initial information but not when an edit is required.

I just cant figure out how to get this working

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
itemStatus does not have any records

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since I cannot understand the requirement, afraid so, perhaps others can see what you mean. My best guess is you need some code when you double click to populate the itemstatus table

Sam Summers

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Sam

Is the following what you need?
Hi Mike,

Yes that section worked but i need to somehow incorporate the Examination status details as well.

I need to take a look at what i am doing from what CJ said as the intermediate table 'ItemStatus' seems to not be doing anything so I have something wrong with my relationships or structure?

Sam Summers

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Sam

Is this better?
Hi Mike,

Just had a quick look and a play and i think that is it and you sorted the structure. I wont get back on it until next monday to properly take a look but thank you in advance. I will let you know how i get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom