Edited Reports in Backend;Won't reflect in Front End (1 Viewer)

AccessNewbie1992

Local time
Today, 13:42
Hi,

I am currently using a Database that was leveraged from a colleague at another location and I am making it fit for my location. I have little Access experience so bare with me!

The database is slip into 2 files frontend and backend. In the backend file, I've made a few changes to the reports and a couple tables in Design View (Colors, terminology, etc) but when I open up the front end.. it doesn't reflect this change.

How can I update the Frontend to reflect the backend?

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:42
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

A properly split database would only have tables in the backend. All user forms should be in the frontend. So, when you need to update a form, you would do it in the master copy of the frontend and then distribute the user copies from it. Changes to the table structure are done in the backend; and to see them in the front end, you may have to refresh the links to those tables.

AccessNewbie1992

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

A properly split database would only have tables in the backend. All user forms should be in the frontend. So, when you need to update a form, you would do it in the master copy of the frontend and then distribute the user copies from it. Changes to the table structure are done in the backend; and to see them in the front end, you may have to refresh the links to those tables.

I'm sorry, let me rephase I did not update forms... just reports. --- Thank you!! How would I do that? I tried updating by going into my backend file, link table manager, and refresh, and nothing has changed!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you!! How would I do that? I tried updating by going into my backend file, link table manager, and refresh, and nothing has changed!
Are you talking about tables now? For example, if you add a field to a table in the backend (BE), the frontend (FE) may not know anything about it until you refresh the link. To refresh the link, you would open the FE and then right click on the table in the FE and select Refresh.

AccessNewbie1992

Local time
Are you talking about tables now? For example, if you add a field to a table in the backend (BE), the frontend (FE) may not know anything about it until you refresh the link. To refresh the link, you would open the FE and then right click on the table in the FE and select Refresh.

Got it, but I'm talking about the Reports. - I updated the reports, but It isn't reflecting in the FE. - I don't see a refresh option for Reports.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Got it, but I'm talking about the Reports. - I updated the reports, but It isn't reflecting in the FE. - I don't see a refresh option for Reports.
Again, that's the problem. The BE should only contain tables. Forms, Queries, Reports, Macros, and Modules should be in the FE.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:42
AccessNewbie,

Perhaps you could show readers what is in the BE and what is in the FE to help clarify the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom