Embed a Word or similar document in an Access Report (1 Viewer)

PeterLB

Local time
Today, 13:17
Embed a Word or similar document in an Access Report - NOW SORTED

I'm building an Access 2010 database which will be used by a number of disparate organisations each with their own standard letters and T's & C's which need to be included in a number of reports which will be printed and posted or emailed as appropriate to their needs.

As part of the process they will all need to manage these documents and make amendments to them as appropriate, most likely in MS Word or similar. These documents will contain logos, formatting and different fonts and be stored on a centralised server in each case.

The access database will be in .mde format and the users will have no access to the code or internal workings of the program.

I have trawled the internet, including this forum, but cannot find any way to embed a MS Word, (or similarly formatted document), in an Access 2010 report. Whilst I know that this can be accomplished in reverse by using the Mail Merge in MS Word this overcomplicates the process for the user who simply wants to run a query within the program, view the report and click 'Print' or 'Email' as appropriate by the simple click of a button.

I know I can copy their text into the reports design, but I don't want to get into the maintenance of their documents and headers within the program myself, (nor do the companies involved want me to as it would result in cost to them), so it needs to be simple and completely in their control.

Can anyone suggest how this can be accomplished please?

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Peter

Last edited:

PeterLB

Local time
Worked it out myself, easy when you know how. :p

Strange that there doesn't seem to be any answer to this one on the net. Oh well. :rolleyes:

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:17
actually theres a quite a few threads in here about it

knowing the correct search term is a good start ie OLE

PeterLB

Local time
actually theres a quite a few threads in here about it

knowing the correct search term is a good start ie OLE

Yep, but us beginners are not always familiar with the 'jargon'.... so we tend to describe what we are trying to do in the hope that someone will point us in the right direction ;)

Best Regards

Peter (who is now happily embedding and linking all sorts of OLEs) :D

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:17
Happy OLE'ing :D

OLE is a great feature, surprised youve never heard of it, think it started back in Win95. The things you can accomplish with it are great!

johnwatkins35

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:17
Re: Embed a Word or similar document in an Access Report - NOW SORTED

PeterLB,
How did you do it because im trying to embed power point slides onto a form and have arrows to navigate through the slides. I got as far as embedding the power point slides onto the form but cant seem to figure out how to do the arrows. i have been beating up my brain the net etc. nothing.

PeterLB

Local time
Hi John, apologies for the late response but I've only just picked up on this.

My clients requirement was to have the ability to have a Word document, (Ts & Cs), outside of the Access database which they could edit as and when required but attach to order forms or invoices directly from within the program.

To that end, the only time they view them from within the program is through the Print Preview option where they can scroll through the various pages using the built in functions of access - multi-page from within the Print Preview tab or individually by clicking on the Page arrows at the bottom left corner of the Access screen.

The only other way I could think of you trying is to link each slide individually rather than as a complete document and write a bit of VBA behind buttons on the page header to close the current page and call the nest one or go back to the previous one.

Hope that this may be of help.

Best Regards
Peter

johnwatkins35

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:17
how about maybe saving the slides as a pdf and have the individuals scroll through the pdf file. i dont want them to change anything just view it. but i would like a MAIN new user place the pdf onto the form. i hope the last info didnt confuse you.

sims.anderson2010

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:17
Sorry to be dumb. If you could delineate how you figured out the embedding of the Word Doc in reports it would be very helpful. I want to do the same thing and have been unable to "figure it out myself" Cannot find any help either.

btw I know that you can "search the forum". I have and am obviously missing something.

Sims

coldrunner

Local time
Today, 08:17
This post is marked as solved. There is talk about being solved.
I do not see a explanation how to embed a Word document in a Access report OLE or any way. Still looking for it myself.

Saphirah

Local time
Today, 14:17
I know this post is really old but i can not find an explanation either, and i really need an answer on how to embed a word document in a access report OLE.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:17
you embed it on Webbrowser Control on the form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom