Error updating: The Microsoft Access database engine cannot open or write to the file (1 Viewer)

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:44
Hello,

I have a split database that is showing the following error message each time a user tries to import new data via VBA code. This code has been tested many times and I'm not sure what is happening.

Error updating: The Microsoft Access database engine cannot open or write to the file. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view and write its data.

Any idea how to remedy this issue?

Thanks,

Mila

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:44
Does each user have their own copy of the FE on their own PC? Or are users sharing the same FE from a network location?

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:44
Yes, each user has his own front end. The error went away after few minutes. I still would like to know what caused it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:44
Check the permissions on the folder that contains the .LDB file (i.e. the place where the back end is shared.) Dollars to donuts, the folder doesn't have MODIFY-class permissions. To use Access, all involved folders must have MODIFY permissions; the detailed permissions include Browse & PassThrough for all higher folders, and then you need Read, Modify, Create, Delete, and probably a couple more that I've forgotten off the top of my head - but the high-level MODIFY setting contains everything you need.

The behavior you described is quite common if the SECOND user to open the file can't open the .LDB file because of permissions.

You also have to look in the front-end's File>>Options>>Client Settings and then scroll down to the Advanced settings to be sure that the Default Open Mode is Shared. Be sure that the version you distribute to the users has that setting. If the Default Open Mode is Exclusive, it would also have the described effect.

The reason you have TWO things to look for is that either one would have the effect of making the first user have exclusive access - by design or de facto - because the .LDB file is created by the first user, but if the second user can't open for update, the database gets locked for that user. And of course if it is set for Exclusive open, the second user also has to wait. You say that the problem goes away? It is because the first user logged out and released all interfering locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom