Solved Estimate to quote. (1 Viewer)

slharman1

Local time
Yesterday, 22:52
not sure if this goes in tables or forms but here it is. I have products with a model #, description and price. I need to copy the record to a quote table via form. But I ha e to be able to change the price and description to anything I want. I also need to be able to add another record to the quote table without any model number associated with it. The quote needs to live on its on without changing if I edit the product table. This way my quote will stay as quoted even if I change the product data after preparing the quote records. Should I use a copy record to the quote table without establishing relationships?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This kind of thing pops up now and then. Basically, what you are saying is that whatever is in the product table at the moment is what goes in the quote, after which the copied information may (probably will) diverge from the product table.

Establishing a relationship is possible for certain cases - such as the hypothetical case of being asked to UPDATE the quote with more info, in which case you would have the chance to reset the costs. For that reason, having some relationship is at least potentially possible.

However, the issue here includes that you need a point-in-time capture of the current data at the time of the quote. This is a case where you probably would copy data from the product table to the quote table. I don't know about using a copy of the record so much as somehow doing an INSERT INTO for the records you need to reference. Since you didn't mention how you built the quote (in the mechanical sense of what steps you take for each line item), I cannot give you more directed suggestions at the moment. But I can confirm that it SOUNDS like a legit case of copying data. I cannot confirm whether a relationship would be good or superfluous because that would depend on details of your business model that were not mentioned in your question.

Hope this is responsive enough for you.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:52
In my Blog Here:-

I demonstrate the method Richard (Doc) mentioned, the insert INTO, and a method using a form.

The form method has the advantage that the record is not saved unless you want to save it.

This helps prevent accidental updates. Also you can add/edit the info if required.

slharman1

Local time
This kind of thing pops up now and then. Basically, what you are saying is that whatever is in the product table at the moment is what goes in the quote, after which the copied information may (probably will) diverge from the product table.

Establishing a relationship is possible for certain cases - such as the hypothetical case of being asked to UPDATE the quote with more info, in which case you would have the chance to reset the costs. For that reason, having some relationship is at least potentially possible.

However, the issue here includes that you need a point-in-time capture of the current data at the time of the quote. This is a case where you probably would copy data from the product table to the quote table. I don't know about using a copy of the record so much as somehow doing an INSERT INTO for the records you need to reference. Since you didn't mention how you built the quote (in the mechanical sense of what steps you take for each line item), I cannot give you more directed suggestions at the moment. But I can confirm that it SOUNDS like a legit case of copying data. I cannot confirm whether a relationship would be good or superfluous because that would depend on details of your business model that were not mentioned in your question.

Hope this is responsive enough for you.
Doc-Man, this is exactly what I am looking for. Finally, somebody gets it! :) Ok, so do a INSERT INTO query, then maintain some type of relationship for the update at a later point. Here's the mechanics of quote entry.
1. Open quote form to new record, fill in all pertinent data for main quote info
2. Each quote detail (line items) will EITHER a. Lookup a product from the product table or b. create the data on the fly by user entering description, qty, and price(no corresponding product).
3. I need to be able to edit the product from the quote detail line and modify and save or cancel, then if saved, re-enter new price, if cancelled, keep original price from step 2 above.

So with that being said I guess I need a field in the quote details table that can, if necessary, relate to the product ID to re-lookup.
Does that sound like what you are referring to?
Then of course a buttom on the main form that could update all items if quote needs updating due to customer coming back after "quote good for date" and re-questing pricing update.

slharman1

Local time
In my Blog Here:-

I demonstrate the method Richard (Doc) mentioned, the insert INTO, and a method using a form.

The form method has the advantage that the record is not saved unless you want to save it.

This helps prevent accidental updates. Also you can add/edit the info if required.
Thanks for the help Uncle Gizmo! , I am still reading and trying to interpret the info you pointed me to.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:52
Have you abandoned this thread?

slharman1

Local time
Have you abandoned this thread?

No. I am researching uncle gizmos post

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I asked because it seems to be the same or a very similar topic. You now have three threads that look very similar.

slharman1

Local time
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. Problem solved.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You can mark a thread solved if you have the answer you need or there doesn't seem to be an answer. The solved option is near the top of the thread on the right. If one suggestion was more relevant than the others, add a comment to point it out to help the people who find the thread later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom