Euro 2012 (1 Viewer)

Megacitizen

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:33
The European Championships are almost on us now, beginning this Friday (early hours of Saturday morning where I am though).

For once, England's expectations are lower than previous tournaments, which is probably no bad thing. The new England Manager is getting slated for picking untried younsters over the old guard, who in all honesty are proven non-performers at previous Finals tournaments. Mind you, he'd have been slated if he'd gone for the old guard instead, for exactly those reasons.

Most people will say Spain are the clear favourites, but I can't see past Germany. They're returning to the old days of being the most clinical team around. They're experts at getting results when required.

England won't progress but they'll get draws from at least 2 games, Sweden and Ukraine.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:33
England won't progress but they'll get draws from at least 2 games, Sweden and Ukraine.
You're probably right, but we live in hope. :)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Roy is getting slated on the blogs for leaving RIO out but I would have left both RIO andTerry out, in fact the only member of the old guard I would have taken is Gerrard purely so that we had an old hand as captain to handle the press.

Even tho I'm a Liverpudlian I would select Lescott and Jagielka as my preferred centre back pairing.

We must also remember that Richards and Carrick ruled themselves out and Walker is injured, this has weakened the team.

Brian

Megacitizen

Registered User.
Local time
I see the Anti-Racism group Kick It Out have jumped on the Rio exclusion bandwaggon this week. If Roy says it was for Footballing reasons, then you don't have to be an expert to know that Rio HAS suffered with both form and injury over the past 18 months or so. Terry has only really had the latter.

Terry is also one of only a handful of players with a proven reputation of stepping up a level when pulling on the 3 Lions shirt. Sadly, if England really want to compete with the best, the levels Terry & Co. step up to should in all honesty be the levels they're stepping up from, ie they're all a step or two BELOW where they should be.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The old guard such as Terry failed when the were at their best, it is time to rebuild.

Brian

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
The old guard such as Terry failed when the were at their best, it is time to rebuild.

Brian
Well, I'd agree with that Brian. I think it's time to move on with some younger blood but until the FA see sense and ask me to do the job, we'll just have to trust Roy's judgement. :)

Megacitizen

Registered User.
Local time
Younger blood is the way forward, in theory at least. However, we now live in a world that demands INSTANT success.

Clubs that run successful youth academies would reap the successes in the 1st team in 5-10 years time. Except that those players are often recruited to bigger clubs as soon as they start demonstrating their potential. Once that player is ready for 1st Team action, the Club has already filled his position with a foreigner who learned the necessary skills at a younger age, that our own players don't learn.

Too many owners demand their trophies LAST season and some sack their managers if he loses A game.

Welcome to the world of the English Premier League, the reason England will NEVER win the World Cup or European Championships unless something changes.

I'm glad I support a lower team in Tranmere Rovers, my home town team back in England, although I follow Perth Glory in the A-League, as they play at the end of my road:D.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Well, I'd agree with that Brian. I think it's time to move on with some younger blood but until the FA see sense and ask me to do the job, we'll just have to trust Roy's judgement. :)

LOL

Just back on and therefore a bit late but loved this.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
It says a lot about our defence that Johnson has been our best defender so far, now he is being criticised in the media and blogs for not attacking enough, he can't win, for me the first thing a defender should do is defend I just wish somebody would tell Cole.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom