Exclude ComboBox from Exporting to Excel (1 Viewer)

qweeqweg

Local time
Today, 13:13
Hello Friends
Is there a way to prevent my Combobox from exporting out to Excel? My ComboBox is situated in the form Header. I have a button which exports the form to Excel, but the ComboBox ends up as an unwanted column in the Excel spreadsheet. Some guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:13
Hi. Maybe export the source data rather than the form? Just a thought...

qweeqweg

Local time
Hi. Maybe export the source data rather than the form? Just a thought...
How would I do that? I'm currently using DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputForm..

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
How would I do that? I'm currently using DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputForm..
Yeah, instead of acOutputForm, try acOutputQuery. Is your form based on a query? If based on a table, you could try acOutputTable. If you filter the form before exporting, then you can create a query with the same filter as your form and export that query.

qweeqweg

Local time
right click on the table name > EXPORT. or use the ribbon / top menu
Thanks, but the record source for the form is based on 3 related tables with the combobox providing the filter... so, that wouldn't work.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, but the record source for the form is based on 3 related tables with the combobox providing the filter... so, that wouldn't work.
I think it would work. Use the same query you're using for the form in your new query and add the criteria from the combobox. Then, export that query. Wouldn't that work?

qweeqweg

Local time
Yeah, instead of acOutputForm, try acOutputQuery. Is your form based on a query? If based on a table, you could try acOutputTable. If you filter the form before exporting, then you can create a query with the same filter as your form and export that query.

I don't have a query specifically built for the form. I just set the record source.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I don't have a query specifically built for the form. I just set the record source.
In that case, you can also use code to either use automate Excel and use CopyFromRecordset or create a QueryDef object with the same SQL statement as your form.

qweeqweg

Local time
I think it would work. Use the same query you're using for the form in your new query and add the criteria from the combobox. Then, export that query. Wouldn't that work?
I had thought about that, and I believe that would work,.. but I was hoping for a quicker solution which didn't require that I create a query. I don't like accumulating stacks of queries. I like everything neat and clean and uncluttered, with record source set within each form. Must be an OCD thing.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I had thought about that, and I believe that would work,.. but I was hoping for a quicker solution which didn't require that I create a query. I don't like accumulating stacks of queries. I like everything neat and clean and uncluttered, with record source set within each form. Must be an OCD thing.
Hi. The "extra" query doesn't have to clutter your database. Create it, export it, and then delete it afterwards. Should be quick enough, no?

qweeqweg

Local time
Hi. The "extra" query doesn't have to clutter your database. Create it, export it, and then delete it afterwards. Should be quick enough, no?
The form is for end users. The Export is triggered by a button on the form, so that the user can export what they are seeing on the screen, should they need to. Im reading up on CopyFromRecordSet now.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The form is for end users. The Export is triggered by a button on the form, so that the user can export what they are seeing on the screen, should they need to. Im reading up on CopyFromRecordSet now.
Hi. So, the button code should be able to do everything. Shouldn't be a problem then. Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

qweeqweg

Local time
Like you advised.. I created a new query using the form's RecordSource SQL statement, and set the query as the object to be exported. Works great. I do wish I could somehow include a title block for the spreadsheet... but I don't know how to do that.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Like you advised.. I created a new query using the form's RecordSource SQL statement, and set the query as the object to be exported. Works great. I do wish I could somehow include a title block for the spreadsheet... but I don't know how to do that.
To add a title block (assuming you meant to insert a row at the top), you might have to use Excel Automation.

zeroaccess

Local time
Open up that recordsource and "Save" the query. Now you can use it.

There is a school of thought that saved queries perform differently (faster?) due to the way Access optimizes queries. Don't know for sure, but saving them to the Nav pane makes it easier to access them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom