Export: Custom file name without folder path (1 Viewer)

jack555

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:45
Via macro or VBA we can specify the file name with the location for the query or report export. I am exporting via macro but now the query or report picked up as the default name where the user can change while saving it.

Question: in macro how to specify the export file name without specifying the file path? save location will be chosen by the user each time. however, would like to have a custom filename rather than "qryExport" or "rptExport".

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:45
Hi. Using a macro, you could try ExportWithFormatting. Using VBA, you could try DoCmd.OutputTo.

jack555

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:45
Hi. Using a macro, you could try ExportWithFormatting. Using VBA, you could try DoCmd.OutputTo.
Yes, I follow ExportWithFormatting. However in the output file either I have to leave it blank or specify the full file path with name. cannot specify the name without a file path. is there any way to achieve this via macro?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:45
Not sure about macros, too limiting, but in vba you would use file dialog to enable the user to pick a folder, then concatenate the chosen folder path and the file name before outputting/exporting.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:45
Don't use a macro. Use VBA to export the file and you have all the control you need.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:45
Yes, I follow ExportWithFormatting. However in the output file either I have to leave it blank or specify the full file path with name. cannot specify the name without a file path. is there any way to achieve this via macro?
Use a default path?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:45
Question: in macro how to specify the export file name without specifying the file path? save location will be chosen by the user each time. however, would like to have a custom filename rather than "qryExport" or "rptExport".
you can use DoCmd.CopyObject to copy the query to a New query name.
later after you have exported it, you can delete it using DoCmd.DeleteObject.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:45
If the download directory is the same as where the FE is copied to or a child of that directory, you can figure it out. Otherwise, you need an additional column in your users table to hold their download path and they must each set theirs up unless you can prepopulate the table for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom