Filtering List Boxes in sync with Forms (1 Viewer)

Dumferling

Local time
Today, 06:46
I want to understand if I am missing anything. My form is filtered in VBA with setting FilterOn and defining the filter (there are three variables that have to be filtered on - not all of them are present at the time of filtering). I have a list box on the form but to get it to reflect the same filter as the form, I have to set Rowsource which I am doing by using a SQL type statement (I copy the SQL statement from the listbox filter along with the WHERE statement as the criteria). It all works but I am wondering whether I am not missing a trick with the listbox and whether there is not a better way to do the filter than by using SQL statements? Can I,for example, link it somehow to the filter of the form? I am self taught in VBA and not particularly sophisticated so I am wondering if there is something that I am not understanding.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:46
Hi. Not with a Listbox, I don't think so. As an alternative, you could try using a Subform and try to make it look like a Listbox. With a Subform, you can automatically filter the content by using the Linked Master/Child Fields properties.

Dumferling

Local time
Today, 06:46
Thank you. Always hopeful for a better option but at least I have it working!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:46
Thank you. Always hopeful for a better option but at least I have it working!
I still hope someone else might tell us something we're not aware of. Cheers!

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:46
Hi,

I don't know whether this would work, but you could try setting the RowSource of your listbox to:
SELECT [ ... Fields ...] FROM YourTable WHERE IIf([Form].FilterOn, [Form].Filter, True)

Scratch all that - it won't work as it is. 😬

hth,

d

Last edited:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 00:46
I still hope someone else might tell us something we're not aware of. Cheers!
I listbox has a DAO recordset. You can apply a filter to a DAO recordset. So the answer is technically yes. If you want to see an application of this see here.

Is this easier than modifying the sql of a single listbox? Likely No. Is this easier to make a generic solution? Yes. This is how I am able to make a find as you type listbox / combobox with only a single line of code. I do not need any knowledge of the potentially complex query. In your case I doubt the bang is worth the buck. If you wanted a class that would link any combobox to the the form filter, then this would be how I would do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom