Finally joining the forum (1 Viewer)

ELiedeker

Local time
Today, 16:58
Hello! I'm a retired programmer with background mostly in client/server PC/Unix, Oracle programming. I had some experience with Access as a programmer in a limited fashion when I used it to create a front end reporting tool with some canned reports to show emergency room data imported from Oracle. The data visualization tools and straightforward UI worked well for our customers in the medical field.

More recently, I'm using it in the more traditional way, which is totally different than my prior experience. Recently I created a supplies database for our housecleaning business, which is working pretty awesome. And now I'm creating a similar database to help me track food inventory at home, which helps me with my curbside ordering. Go ahead, laugh. Maybe I'm looking for excuses to program, but I finally used my food database for the first time last night and I swear it saved me at least an hour. Did I spend several hours to save myself an hour every week? Yes, but way more interesting hours!!

Anyway, I've used this forum numerous times because oftentimes the problem I was running into has already been addressed, but not always. I miss the old days when I could wander out into the hallway and consult with a fellow programmer. So here I am!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:58
Welcome to the forums!

To help us better understand your needs, I would be very grateful if you could complete this 2 minute survey: Click here for the survey

All surveys are anonymous and not linked to your account.

I want to keep this the very best place for Access and your feedback helps us!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:58
Welcome aboard!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Welcome to AWF, @ELiedeker
It's always interesting to hear the many ways we find useful functions for technology, Access included. I know what you mean about 'more fun hours'. I once created an interface using Excel VBA forms to allow my wife to take thousands of unorganized pictures and preview, then move them into folders labeled as years and months. Useful and fun! That was a little ways before it seemed like smartphone cameras + google photos "knew" when every photo was taken. : )

ELiedeker

Local time
Isaac, that's awesome! I've organized my pictures that same way manually because even with the photo timestamp, I want to navigate quickly to a particular year or month without waiting for everything to load and render. It's such a time consuming process, so your program sounds really useful. I'd love to see it, if possible. I'm unfamiliar with Excel forms, and wouldn't have thought to use it to navigate or organize a file system.

My very first programming project, before my programming career, was in Excel. I was a receptionist, but started doing payroll and ended up creating a spreadsheet that automatically calculated payroll taxes using the bracket formulations from the IRS booklet. I could enter the withholding as S-1, for example (single, one deduction), and it would calculate the taxes. Lol. It's funny with all that I did in my subsequent career, that's a favorite project. Just because I got so much use out of it, as you can imagine.

So fun to meet a like-minded problem solver. :)

It's always interesting to hear the many ways we find useful functions for technology, Access included. I know what you mean about 'more fun hours'. I once created an interface using Excel VBA forms to allow my wife to take thousands of unorganized pictures and preview, then move them into folders labeled as years and months. Useful and fun! That was a little ways before it seemed like smartphone cameras + google photos "knew" when every photo was taken. : )

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
your program sounds really useful. I'd love to see it, if possible. I'm unfamiliar with Excel forms, and wouldn't have thought to use it to navigate or organize a file system
Definitely could have been done just as easily in Access. In my case, I didn't really care about data or tables, it was just:

- a userform with a picture control and some buttons, with some userform controls saving the file path
- i think i had some way to rotate the pic, can't remember
- a way for the end user to name the picture, with all kinds of design to support frequently/recently used names to pre=populate suggested chunks of the name
- end user designate the year and month, or year and month unknown, and select from possible additional chunks of text for filename
- finally, some FileCopy or NameAs statements to simply move the file to the requisite YYYY-MM folder with its new name and load the next one(s).

No longer have it. It was simple and crude. Have fun here at AWF !

ELiedeker

Local time
Definitely could have been done just as easily in Access. In my case, I didn't really care about data or tables, it was just:

- a userform with a picture control and some buttons, with some userform controls saving the file path
- i think i had some way to rotate the pic, can't remember
- a way for the end user to name the picture, with all kinds of design to support frequently/recently used names to pre=populate suggested chunks of the name
- end user designate the year and month, or year and month unknown, and select from possible additional chunks of text for filename
- finally, some FileCopy or NameAs statements to simply move the file to the requisite YYYY-MM folder with its new name and load the next one(s).

No longer have it. It was simple and crude. Have fun here at AWF !
Thanks!! Sounds like a great next project to learn some new skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom