Find distances between postal addresses (1 Viewer)

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:06
Hi, my customer has about 2,000 customers with their postal addresses in his Access db. He enters "order" to do work when they make a request. What he would like to do after he enters an order is to be notified that "by the way, there are X number of other customers who have pending orders that are nearby, and here's a list of them." I suspect this might not be easy, but does anyone have any experience doing something like this?

Thanks, Chuck

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:06
Some years ago we had a discussion about finding the distance between two locations. The question would FIRST be "how widely dispersed are these customers?" If they are in different postal codes, it might be enough to just list who is in the same postal code area. Otherwise, you might need the ability to call up street maps that allow you to interact with them.

Here is a thread from 2012 that explores the topic.

Another one:

This may also be related and is more recent.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:06
There's two things.

It's pretty quick to work out a "crow flies" distance between 2 places, but much slower to work out a road route and distance.

You see this in a sat-nav where filling stations are shown quickly with a rough direction, but when you pick one it takes a few seconds to give you a route to the fuel.

So, if you store all the lat-longs to the locations. you can work out straight line distances directly from the lat-long with a bit of pythagorus (the curve of the earth is not critical for short distances), so you don't need to keep asking google to do it for you.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:06
Ages ago I had an Access form, with a routine that used google maps to provide a driving time from a field engineers house to a site.
It would compare the top 6 or 7 engineers by time to provide a sensible list of options to the service control desk.
It was driven by UK post codes.

Not sure it would still work or where it is, but I'll have a route around if you are properly stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom